Author Topic: Lord McKinley Shaw  (Read 1680 times)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lord McKinley Shaw
« on: Saturday 27 December 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I have just recently found out that my great grandparents met while working for a Lord in the early 1920s. The name we've been given is McKinley Shaw (spelling might be totally different.)

Does anyone know of a family with these names in this area in the 1920s? He might have been a lord, but we are not sure. It must have been a big house, as my great grandmother worked in a kitchen, and my great grandfather worked as a chauffeur.

My great grandparents names were John Cameron (b. 1884) and Margaret Leishman Adam (b. 1899.)
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lord McKinley Shaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 December 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The name we've been given is McKinley Shaw (spelling might be totally different.)

Is this a christian name and surname or a hyphenated surname (ie)  McKinley-Shaw

Have you checked the Scottish 1911 census for them?   www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

John Cameron (b. 1884)

Was John 15yrs older than Margaret or do you mean 1894?   Either way - have you checked the 1911 to see where he was working at that time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The name we've been given is McKinley Shaw (spelling might be totally different.)

Is this a christian name and surname or a hyphenated surname (ie)  McKinley-Shaw

Have you checked the Scottish 1911 census for them?   www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

John Cameron (b. 1884)

Was John 15yrs older than Margaret or do you mean 1894?   Either way - have you checked the 1911 to see where he was working at that time?

From what I understand it was two last names, but I could be wrong. That was the names my grandmother remembers hearing.

It's correct that John was 15 years older than Margaret. They met while working at the McKinley Shaw residence, and she became pregnant and the Lord made John marry Margaret (at least that's what we've been told.) Kind of a Downton Abbey storyline..

Margaret was 21 when she became pregnant in 1920, so they met around that time.

John worked as a stagecoach driver in 1911. He was living at Inveroran Hotel near Oban at the time. The reason I though this Lord McKinley Shaw lived in Stirlingshire is that Margaret is living in Kilsyth in 1911, and she and John is married in Kilsyth in 1920.
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
It's more likely the the employer was a Laird rather than Lord- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laird

Have you tried searching for him in any census records (concentrating on the Kilsyth area)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
There was a Baron Thomas Shaw KC, who was Lord Advocate of Scotland from 1905-1909, and was then appointed to the House of Lords for the next twenty years. His original Barony was in Dunfermline, Fife although his hereditary peerage was of Craigmyle in the county of Aberdeen. I suspect this may not be your man, but you might want to take steps to rule him out altogether.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Family stories are wonderful.

So your GG Grandparents were married on 20 Dec 1920 in Kilsyth.
At the time of the marriage he lived and worked in Glasgow (420 Parliamentary Road) as a Chauffeur
She at #10 Duntreath Terrace in Kilsyth and was employed as a Domestic Servant. Duntreath Terrace is on Google Maps a pretty little street facing the park.
Witnesses to this marriage were Annie Adams and Samuel Cameron.
Btw...John claimed to be 36 and she 21 (I wouldn't don't bother looking for them in the 1911 Census).

Obviously they met somewhere but prior to 1920.  I looked at all the Shaw valuations in Kilsyth and none have anything that you could attach "Laird" in front of so perhaps they working outside this Parish when they met.  Or, they worked for this individual after they were married.

If you wish a copy of their marriage registration which also shows their parents send me a PM with your email address.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.