Author Topic: Joyce Shortt - South Africa  (Read 5176 times)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joyce Shortt - South Africa
« on: Sunday 28 December 14 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information regarding Joyce Shortt who I suspect is a daughter of Robert Lewis de Montmorency William Shortt.  Joyce was in South Africa in around the 1980s and have no idea where or what happened to her then.  I suspect she was a granddaughter of Robert Owen Shortt and Jemima Woods Staverley of Ireland.  I am not entirely sure if her married name was Shortt, she may have been the daughter in law of one of these family members.
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce Shortt - South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
was in South Africa in around the 1980s

Is this person likely to still be alive as you don't give any details of her birthyear?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
No,  I don't know if she married or not, or if she was a daughter or granddaughter.  I found a reference to her in a family history book and a comment that the writer had lost contact with her and she was in South Africa.  Who I believe is her father was born in Ireland in 1883.
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
What is your connection to her apart from what you have read in the book?  We have to be very careful about researching somebody who may still be alive as Rootschat has a "no living persons" policy

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
She is a descendant of Robert Owen Shortt (grandfather), and I am a descendant of Dr William John Shortt his brother. Their parents were John Shortt (a Barrister) and Charlotte Owen of Dublin.  A Hugh Owen wrote a book on the Owen family which mentioned Joyce.  So many of the family connections are lost now despite all his good work.  I am hoping to find out a bit more about this line, as the only clue I have is her name, I have no idea if she had siblings or other family.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
That's fine - it gives us a bit more background to work from

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 December 14 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I have found a possible tombstone for her on eggsa.org  It is for a J M V Kastrup nee Shortt with the name Joyce in brackets.  Born 8 May 1917 and died 8 August 1986, and buried in Windhoek Namibia.  There is also a tombstone for a W.E.O. Kastrup in the same graveyard - 1917-1985 - possibly her husband?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 December 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'll see what else I can find out, could definitely be a lead.

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 December 14 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly I found a Joyce Vivian Marie Shortt in an ancestry private tree.  I've sent them a message.  Will keep you posted.