Author Topic: Patrick Hunter 1861, searching for possible parents and siblings.  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Hunter 1861, searching for possible parents and siblings.
« on: Tuesday 30 December 14 00:51 GMT (UK) »
As I am new to this forum I hope I am posting and writing these topics properly! 
I am looking for anyone out there searching for Patrick Hunter 1861, source: Irish census 1901 Monaghan street and 1911 St peter's in Newry. 
He married in 1881 to Margaret Haughey.  I have a lot of information on them including marriage record but no birth record.  I am trying to name his parents.
 Newry records office said he settled in Newry with his brother James Hunter born about 1856 also no birth record. Their father was John Hunter sourced from marriage record of James Hunter.  Records office suggests they were born in Scotland Lanark.   Can not find a record there either. This information was given before census was out and I can see on the census he states birth place as co. Armagh. I can not find any source to connect him to his sibling and I am wondering if they are siblings at all. There must be someone out there searching for the same family! Thanks

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Hunter 1861, searching for possible parents and siblings.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 04:54 GMT (UK) »

He married in 1881 to Margaret Haughey.  I have a lot of information on them including marriage record but no birth record.

The marriage actually took place on 28 July 1880.  If you have the marriage records for Patrick and possible brother James, what was father John's occupation in each?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 05:43 GMT (UK) »
There are a John Hunter and Eliza Morison / Morrison (possibly the same couple who married in a Belfast RC church in the late 1830s) who had a number of children in the 1840s and 1850s, including a Patrick and James in the right timeframe in the right area of County Armagh.

The RootsIreland website has details, but the subscription arrangements are expensive for one or two records and the record content may prove inconclusive in any case.  With nothing further on this couple for now, they're simply worth noting until someone finds something else to rule them in or out.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Details of James Hunter's family posted on Lanarkshire thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=708478
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Hunter, searching for possible parents and siblings. Where to next?
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaffy,
I just wanted to Thankyou , I had posted this topic quite a while ago and followed your advice on the possible matching births of children from Eliza Morrison and John Hunter.  It took some time as I had no proof of birth and no mother's name.  I have now found death certs of John Hunter Tinsmith  which give some idea of his  birth date. Death cert says he was born 1827 and I found a death record of an Eliza Hunter wife of Tinsmith in Newry b.1829. It looked quite promising that this John Hunter and Eliza Morrison might be possible parents of James and Patrick Hunter and other siblings that I found on Roots Ireland. My James Hunter would have been born 1854 (death Record)  and Patrick Hunter born 1856(marriage record).  I followed a marriage in Belfast in 1838 for John Hunter/Eliza Morrison which you pointed out could be a match.  The couples age would be out by about 10 years though. This couple would have been born in abt 1818. Also their sons Patrick 1853 and James Hunter 1856 would not be out by that much. Although with no occupation on any birth records, I have no way of matching it to my John Hunter and Eliza Unknown.  They seemed to have started their family around 1838 and could indeed be the parents of these children in Lower Killeavy.  I have always found it strange that my John and Eliza only had 2 children. It was thought that they had come to Ireland from Scotland but now that I have found death certs of their parents John and Eliza, I think that information is wrong.  The death records I obtained match with their addresses on 35 Monaghan Street Newry.
I found John Hunter in townland Cross, Camlough in 1864 on Griffiths valuation records. I have also checked out some of the sponsors on baptisms-  a Colon Crilly who also appears on Griffiths valuation in Camlough. I  also found a catholic marriage for an Edward Hunter born abt 1847 married to Bridget Kelly from Camlough and his father was John Hunter and he was a shovel maker/Tinker. He lived in Queen Street Newry? (If I am right it was near Dominic Street) A lot of coincidence but I did not find any baptism record of Edward Hunter with the other baptisms in Lower Killeavy, unless he was christened with another name or another family with father John Hunter and mother Eliza. I followed this Edward Hunter to USA and found his death record but it only had father John Hunter and mother Eliza - again no surname. Buried in Rondolph cemetery in Massachusetts.   I am sure it is the same couple who married in Co.Armagh and he had the same occupation in USA. Shovel Maker.  I found a few more possibilities of these children's baptisms - John Hunter 1848 tinplate maker from Co. Armagh in England census which could be a match and a William Hunter married to Mary Nugent in Keady who had father John Hunter Tinsmith. This has confused me quite a bit as it is not the right area so perhaps there where a few catholic John Hunter Tinsmith's around Co. Armagh. I have come across a few other John Hunter's but weaver and farmers.  So I don't know where to go from here,  Can anybody advise me what might be my next pursuit to try and connect this couple John Hunter Eliza unknown or is that it!
Thanks a million.