Author Topic: Patersons of Lanarkshire  (Read 14246 times)

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patersons of Lanarkshire
« on: Tuesday 30 December 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi...I am looking for any descendants of John Paterson and wife Elizabeth who lived in 31 Dunning street Glasgow Scotland,  in 1951.  John,s parents were Allan Paterson and Maggie(maiden name McKay)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Patersons of Lanarkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you have year(s) of birth/places of birth for any of the names you have given to give us a guide please?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living relatives but you've posted more details on another thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703854
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 January 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you have year(s) of birth/places of birth for any of the names you have given to give us a guide please?

Annie
...Hi Annie....ok...John Paterson 4/8/93 Glasgow Lanarkshire. Parents Allan Paterson birth 1868 Coll Argyllshire mother Margaret Paterson(nee McKay) birth 1863 Inverness.  John Married Elizabeth Boyle in Calton Glasgow 2/10/25,,,found him living at 31 Dunning Street Glasgow, in 1951....cant trace him after that............thanks for any help 

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 January 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie..I think I messed up a reply to you, so doing it again.    John Paterson 4/8/93 Glasgow. Parents Alan Paterson 1868 Coll Argylleshire and Margaret Paterson(nee McKay 1863 Inverness.  John married Elizabeth Boyle 2/10/25 at Calton Glasgow, last trace of him was at 31 Dunning Street Glasgow in 1951 (he had signed his brother Roderick, death certificate whilst at that address)........thankyou for any help......

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on SP (scotlandspeople) 1978 in County (Lanark), District (Glasgow, Martha St) for a John Paterson (traditional soundex) with mother's maiden surname McKay.

I can't tell you if this is your relative though ?  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 January 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there...thankyou for your reply.....I am quite sure it could be "our" John Paterson, as his mothers maiden name was McKay, she reverted to that after her marriage to Alan, ended. There is another very long reason why I believe he is the one, briefly, we think that her reverted to his mothers maiden name of McKay,  when he married my grandmother in 1914, he had joined the navy, but jumped ship in 1918, and was never heard of after. The researcher of Lanarkshire FHS, found him back in Glasgow, using his birth surname of Paterson, maybe using that name because of the desertion from the navy....so if you could give me more details of what you found, I would be very grateful......thankyou

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

I only done a search with the details you gave of John Paterson (I used the soundex option) & mother's maiden name of McKay then narrowed it down to find the area  :P

I didn't open it as it costs credits but the only thing you would find if you pay to open would be the details I gave you along with the "Registration number" as you won't be able to download it because of the date restriction of 50yrs.

You can order it though whether through www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for £12 (it's gone up) or by Tel. 0131 314 4411 (New Register House) or I think you can actually purchase them at your local registrar's? (I haven't had to do that so not too sure)?

If you give them the details I gave you they will find him no problem as he's the only one for that area with mother's maiden name McKay ;D

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 January 15 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Interestingly there is a tree on An*****y with this:

Lachlan John Jack Paterson McKay Mackay
Birth 4 August 1893 in Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland

It has the correct parent's & wife but curious as to Lachlan?

Maybe that was the name he was using when you couldn't find him?

Is there a Lachlan relation in the family who he chose this name from?

Maybe more info. to find from this hopefully?   ;D

Annie