Author Topic: Patersons of Lanarkshire  (Read 14247 times)

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patersons of Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou so very much...im sorry but I didn't give you Johns full Christian names...he is John Lachlan, and his fathers fathers name was also Lachlan, my son had recently joined Scotlands people, so I went on there looking for death info, but it wouldn't show anything after 1909?.....anyway, im sure we are on the right track now, thanks to you, but we also have to find out if there were children from that marriage, and I think that could be very difficult, if you,ve got any suggestions for that, please let me know....and thankyou once again

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...I just could not find Johns death on Scotlands People...also, I just rang Register House with the information you gave me, and they cant find it either.....now im really stumped!!!...can you help please...thanks

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi elainemar,

I found the one that ammack found, it is not yours however. I opened up the result and it is for a 45yo John Norman Paterson mother maiden name McKay, died Glasgow, registered in Martha St in 1978.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi....thankyou for that....I feel quite downhearted now  :'(.......dontknow what to do now, ive been searching on and off, for 30 years...finally gave it to my son to do........thankyou again

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Elaine,

Don't give up yet!!

Not all deaths on SP have mother's maiden name included as search criteria.

He may well have been registered under Lachlan?

He may have been under M(a)cKay?

This might be him (age a bit out but allowable) & I would put a £ bet on that it's him  ;D

You can order with these details:

MACKAY

JOHN LACHLAN

Not Permissible

M 62
District Nairn
City/County NAIRN 123/00 0094

Fingers crossed  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
My guess is he did have family & he was with a family member when he passed away (hopefully)?

I also believe he was named John Lachlan M(a)cKay at birth although I don't have time to search at the moment but hopefully someone will be kind enough in my absence?  ;D  ::)  :P

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
You may want to open a thread in Nairn asking for a newspaper look-up for funeral arrangements for that time too?  :P

Annie

Offline elainemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie...thankyou so much...but he was found in Dunning Street in 1951, as he had signed his brother Roderick,s death certificate......so im still a bit doubtful...I may try what you suggested though. I think our biggest problem,is that he used the name Mackay when he married my grandmother in Kent in 1914, though what he was doing there, we don't know, my son had found a John Mackay in Borstal at that time too. After many tries with the M.O.D (my grandfather had been in the navy) he gave us what was the correct information about him, he was Mackay then birth date 4/8/1893, we knew it was the correct in, because of the fact, that what the family had known about him, was that he had (jumped) ship in 1918, and that showed on the final details of his naval record.....other than that, we don't know anything else, except that the researcher of Lanarkshire FHS had found him back in Glasgow under the name Paterson, so that is how we have got to where we are today...........thankyou

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

1. he used the name Mackay when he married my grandmother in Kent in 1914, though what he was doing there, we don't know
(Chatham, Kent was/is a Royal Navy Establishment)

2. my son had found a John Mackay in Borstal at that time too
What do you have to substantiate this could be him? Do you have an age of inmate, newspaper report or anything else to support your thoughts? A very common name!!![/color]

3. After many tries with the M.O.D (my grandfather had been in the navy) he was Mackay then birth date 4/8/1893
There were NO births with ANY surname for a John Lachlan in that year (1893) ANYWHERE in Scotland
There was 1 birth for a John Lachlan McKay (1885 Lanark) with parent's John Lachlan McKay & Jane Collins ??? ??? :o :o ::) ::) :P :P ;D ;D

4. we knew it was the correct in, because of the fact, that what the family had known about him, was that he had (jumped) ship in 1918
Seems to be the ONLY thing so far that is TRACEABLE apart from why he was in Kent   ::)

5. the researcher of Lanarkshire FHS had found him back in Glasgow under the name Paterson, so that is how we have got to where we are today
So...........because the "Researcher" couldn't trace him outside Glasgow, he didn't move & because the "Researcher" found him as "Paterson" back in Glasgow he didn't revert back to "M(a)cKay elsewhere ???

I think that death I mentioned is certainly worth the £12. I have downloaded the 1885 birth cert.
A family member may have registered the death & it IS in Scotland although not Glasgow.

I have highlighted both surnames used & M(a)cKay is most favoured  ;D

Annie