Author Topic: Wallis family, Guiting Power and Stanway  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Wallis family, Guiting Power and Stanway
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 January 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
I have checked that actual PR for St Michael, Guiting Power, this morning, and again the PR is somewhat mixed up and very difficult to read.
I did find a legible entry for a Mary WOLLAMS, dau of John, baptised April the 11 day 1671, but no sign of a Benjamin WALLIS.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline mercian41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 January 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Victor!

Thanks very much for following up my query.  Yes, the result is disappointing, but I'm not unduly surprised; I've had some first-hand experience of trying to 'de-code' registers from the Restoration period and earlier in the case of Warwickshire parishes, so I know what it's like. As a next move I think it will be necessary to look at the PRs of the neighbouring parishes to Stanway and Guiting Power.

Over the past few days I've been investigating through Family Search the possibility of getting hold of records, particularly BTs, via microfilm/fiches through their Family History Centres - Cambridge is the nearest for us (60 miles retn.).  The charges would work out quite reasonably, set against the time and the distances one might have to travel to a county record office.  Whenever we have visited Warwicks. CRO or the Shakespeare Centre in the past we've made a 4-5 day stay of it, and we would plan to do the same if we ever visited Gloucester. The only person I know of who has made use of the Family Search record service lives is NZ.  I wonder what the downsides, if any, might be?

You suggested employing a paid researcher: could you give me a little more information on what the hourly/daily charges might be?

Regards

Geoff
WARWICKSHIRE: POWERS, PAYNE, WILLS, CHA(U)NDLER, FE(A)RN, WIMBLETT (WIMLETT), LOACH, DOLEY, PRESTIGE/PESTRIDGE, HUNT, ROBERTS,WARD, COX, OAKES, MALIN, COMPTON, BEST, TENNANT, DAVIS, SHREEVE (SHREEVES, SREEVE)

GLOUCESTERSHIRE: WALLIS (WALLACE), BEECHEY, STANLEY, YEATES, WISE, PHIPPS, SANDFORD, STANLEY, WIMBLETT (WIMLETT), GOLDICUT/COLDICOT, HOLTHAM

WORCESTERSHIRE: WALLIS (WALLACE), WALTER (WALTERS, WATERS). STANLEY, RADWAY, PORTER, DYKE, HOLTHAM

OXFORDSHIRE: BEECHEY

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 15 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Kindly refer to my private message (pm).
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 January 15 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Thought I'd check out the adjoining parishes for you which are:-
Cutsdean, Temple Guiting, Pinnock & Hyde, Hailes and Didbrook.
Victor

Offline mercian41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 January 15 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Victor, that would be absolutely brilliant, and it's extremely kind of you to offer, but please don't let me take up  too much of your precious time. 

I think I remarked in one of my posts that I had investigated some of these parishes in the past also those parishes nearer to Stow, such as Condicote and the Slaughters, also Bourton on the Hill, where Benjamin's wife, Ann Gilson was born in 1682, but all without success.

Regards

Geoff 

WARWICKSHIRE: POWERS, PAYNE, WILLS, CHA(U)NDLER, FE(A)RN, WIMBLETT (WIMLETT), LOACH, DOLEY, PRESTIGE/PESTRIDGE, HUNT, ROBERTS,WARD, COX, OAKES, MALIN, COMPTON, BEST, TENNANT, DAVIS, SHREEVE (SHREEVES, SREEVE)

GLOUCESTERSHIRE: WALLIS (WALLACE), BEECHEY, STANLEY, YEATES, WISE, PHIPPS, SANDFORD, STANLEY, WIMBLETT (WIMLETT), GOLDICUT/COLDICOT, HOLTHAM

WORCESTERSHIRE: WALLIS (WALLACE), WALTER (WALTERS, WATERS). STANLEY, RADWAY, PORTER, DYKE, HOLTHAM

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 January 15 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Sorry, there's been a bit of a misunderstanding! I was only trying to let you know what the adjoining parishes were. I couldn't possibly take on all those parishes lookups.
Victor

Offline mercian41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 January 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Victor!

Apologies! Crossed wire - in my head!  I will however check your list, as there are certainly a couple you mention that I have not looked at at all, even with the help of the Glos. parishes map.  Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the information.

Geoff