Author Topic: German knitting frame maker ?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
German knitting frame maker ?
« on: Wednesday 31 December 14 11:41 GMT (UK) »
My great great great Grandmother was born in Frankfurt in the early 19th cent. and her occupation was believed to be "Knitting frame maker".
Can anyone explain just what that entailed, or what kind of knitting frame she would have made?
Thankyou
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German knitting frame maker ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
her occupation was believed to be "Knitting frame maker".
Can anyone explain just what that entailed, or what kind of knitting frame she would have made?
Thankyou
Why do  you say "believed"? Could be Knitting Frame Worker, which is a recognised occupation?
See  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01efw/
Stan

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: German knitting frame maker ?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info will peruse shortly over a coffee  :).Most of my Dad's side were cotton workers in Lancashire and i have vivid memories of going into the mill to find my Grandfather, but I thought maybe in the early 19th cent in Germany. maybe it was more of a cottage industry and she made small frames for knitting stockings etc. maybe working in a small unit, or a home.Her father was a master gardener, so it's not like it was a family industry.Just interested to know exactly what a Knitting frame maker of that period did,or what the frame looked like. Just trying to get a picture of a lady I know very little about.
Thankyou.

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.