Author Topic: Hugh Tait b1828 Saltcoat  (Read 4867 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Tait b1828 Saltcoat
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 January 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
You are right, that's another possibility Rustypup - that Hugh could be Irish or of Irish parentage.
Incidentally the Lusks are still in Saltcoats at the 1851 Census living in Crofthead Street which joined on to Manse Road from what I can gather and is today all Manse Road.
John Lusk's wife is actually called Letitia ( don't know why she is transcribed as Mary in 1841 ??? ) and the couple still have a lot of "visitors" who are young weavers.
Can only imagine in 1841 the person who provided the household info either didn't know Mrs Lusk's first name or the enumerator wrote down the wrong name.

Linda 

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 January 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Nooooo!  what a can of worms you are both re opening for me!  :'(

I had where I couldn't trace my family although I had lots of details and names. What they didn't mention is that my g grandfather had run off and changed his name joined the Royal Marines, he had a wife and 4 kids under that name before returning home and reassuming his correct name. Well almost he and his wife died young and kids were fostered out to the family and appeared on census in either of the two names. My grandfather kept the assumed name as his middle name.

I was lucky for lots of help on this forum to trace down some of the family.

I am currently looking on ancestry for any Hugh Tait births in UK around the time. I had looked on IGI for any TAIT births including illegitimates. Lucky I am in Aust and it is going to be 41 degrees Celsius today  :-\ so I can sit in front of the air conditioner and work on this. It's too hot to do anything else.

Judy
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 January 15 23:10 GMT (UK) »
It's blawin a hoolie here in Ayrshire tonight Judy.  Wet and windy ....what else in January ::)

IF Hugh was illegitimate, his father's name may not appear on Old Parish Record. He might be Hugh ??  (mother's name).....which is obviously no good to you.

I have also tried following up on the Joseph Tait / Elizabeth Thomson with daughter Mary Tait born in Ardrossan but haven't been able to find them (so far) on future Censuses. I had thought that looked promising with Hugh using the name Joseph for his first son. 

Looby :)

Offline Darren Martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 05:43 GMT (UK) »
There are a ton of entries in the Herald for surname tait. http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
After the dates you are interest in but you never know what you may find.

Martin, Brown, Crawford, Turner, Pinkerton, Macara

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I am still working away quietly in the background on Hugh. I have found a few possibilities I am exploring but nothing jumps out at me yet. There was an Andrew Hugh Tait born in Ardrossan 1818 with a mother Jane or Janet Millar who died in 1819. His age/dob could have been mis/stated for many reasons but it is another line for me to follow.

The search goes on....

Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,
Well Andrew Hugh Tait - that looks promising :)
There is another child to that couple Janet Tait born in 1816 at Ardrossan. But can find no trace of any of them on 1841 Census. Drat!
So are they all dead...or moved away....emigrated ???

There is also an interesting family at Catrine Mill Street , Sorn Ayshire 1841

TAIT       Hugh       M       55       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver        Ayrshire           
TAIT       Margret       F       50               Ayrshire           
TAIT       Andrew       M       15       Cotton Factory Worker        Ayrshire           
TAIT       Mungo       M       15       Cotton Carder        Ayrshire           
TAIT       Hugh       M       14       Cotton Carder        Ayrshire           
TAIT       George       M       11               Ayrshire           
TAIT       James       M       8               Ayrshire           
TAIT       William       M       6               Ayrshire           
GOLDIE       Jannet       F       25       Cotton Power Loom Weaver        Ayrshire

Most of this family are missing from the 1851 Census - only Mungo age 23 a Confectioner's apprentice born Sorn lodging in Ayr and younger brothers George aged 20 and James 18 Hand loom weavers are still in Catrine lodging with another family.  Parents one would assume are dead. But where are Andrew ,Hugh and William?

This could be a wild goose - But I thought I'd draw them to your attention because Hugh Tait is of the right age and is missing in 1841;)   Amended - Hugh is missing from 1851 Census

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought Judy.
The Andrew Hugh Tait born 1818 -  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTVQ-H89
where did you get the info that Jane Miller/Tait was dead in 1819.

James Tait and Agnes Hamilton are married in late October 1819  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKG-32G   
Maybe James Tait widower was marrying again! Not unusual at this period for a man , especially one with young children, to remarry very quickly after a wife's death.

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Looby for the heads up reminder to look at all information I find together not in isolation.

I found Jane Miller/Tait info on ancestry and have sent of to owner of the tree. But like the one with Agnes Hamilton in it no reply as yet. Several trees have Jane (Janet) Miller/Tait living to 118 yrs old death in 1905 but I find this highly unlikely.  I just found another tree of this couple where on of the children comes to Aust in 1837 so have sent of yet another enquiry.

I have a couple of cases already of men remarrying quickly to provide care for their children, once a younger sister.

Still taking little chips off that brick wall ;D
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock