Author Topic: Hugh Tait b1828 Saltcoat  (Read 4871 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Tait b1828 Saltcoat
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 15 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes - the thrill of the chase is great fun. I always say I feel like Miss Marple uncovering clues.

I agree with your statement re. death records - the info is only as good as the memory or knowledge of the person who provided it.
It's interesting that Hugh did not use the name James when naming his sons. Although not compulsory :) and there were exceptions to the rule many Scots named their first born son after the Father's father. Hugh has not even used James as a middle name for his sons....
But he does have a daughter called Jessie Agnes - The Tait family you have found - mother is Agnes and a daughter is Jessie . :-\  Co-incidence? * shrug my shoulders *
Incidentally, in Scotland Jessie could be a pet name / was interchangeable with Janet.   

More digging required  :)

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to ask - Who was Hugh's wife and where & when did he marry?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 January 15 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Just noticed this birth of a Mary Tait to a Joseph Tait and an Elizabeth Thomson on 31 Oct 1825 at Ardrossan .https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTVQ-92N
Maybe these people worth investigating further.

Looby ;)

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 January 15 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Hugh married an Agnes Wilson in Victoria, Australia.

Agnes came to Australia in 1852 on a ship full of girls to be domestic servants (she was born in Eaglesham the first child of a second marriage the first wife had died) Her 60+ yr old father Henry  and mother Agnes then emigrated to Aust with a lot of the children. They were in Scotland in 1861 census and Henry Wilson died 1869 Victoria so didn't enjoy Aust for long. Henry lived in Monkton, Dundonald and Kilmarnook Ayrshire.

Another of my ancestors met her husband on the ship that she emigrated on, he was a steward - trouble was he already had a wife and 2 children. The family don't like talking about that one, but I love a skeleton or two and have traced the family left behind and the remaining family in England looked after them very well. I and they wouldn't be here if it hadn't happened so why ignore it.

The names of the children are also consistent with Agnes Wilson's family. The oldest of Hugh and Agnes's children was Andrew Joseph - Always referred to as AJ (Henry) or just Henry. I find names can be so hard, what they were baptised as may have little relevance to what they were called especially if many in the family with the same name. Also as you mention the Janet/Jessie or the other variations like Jane/Jean or similar to make it just a bit different from the person they were named after. I also have one family grouping that confused all and sundry as they had two living daughters one named Eliza and one named Elizabeth and everyone thought it was the same girl. Birth dates & baptisms different both on passenger listing and both married and had families in Aust. It seems that it wasn't unusual to use both in the one family maybe because of the way they abbreviated them at the time. It just proves we can not use our modern pre conceptions when evaluating old data and info.

I will also have a look at Joseph and Elizabeth Thompson. I am open to all suggestions I have spent a long time looking so I will look at everything.

Thanks againg
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 January 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »

There is a Tait Hall still in use in Montgomerie Street in Ardrossan.

It was named after a local lady Nan Tait in recognition of her work in the community.

She was awarded an MBE. Nan is usually a shortened version of Agnes.

St John mentioned in previous posts could be in Canada, either New Brunswick or Newfoundland.

Rustypup

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 January 15 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Rustypup It is funny that you should mention "Nan" Tait as Henry Tait's girls were Annie May and shortened to Nan, Agnes was always called Aggie. Probably more Australian abbreviations.

Rustypup is also the name of my very cute and gorgeous Cockerspaniel  8)

McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 January 15 13:58 GMT (UK) »
   Mabeljessie

What a coincidence, my Rusty was a very handsome Golden Retriever sadly no longer with us.

Regards
      Rustypup

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 January 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I've been trying to tie Hugh Tait age 14 of Saltcoats on 1841 Census in with the Tait family of James Tait and Agnes Hamilton and so far no joy.
How odd that Hugh and Agnes named their first Andrew Joseph but called him Henry after her father.
A couple of things strike me with all this -
Hugh could have been illegitimate and not recorded as Tait at birth. He could be under his mother's name on an OPR, or he may not have been recorded at all. It was very common for illegitimate children to assume/be known on the community as their father's name.
Secondly Hugh may not have been born in Saltcoats. Just because he gave it as his P.O.B does not mean it is correct, ditto his year of birth. He may not have know where or exactly when he born.
If that is him in 1841 living with the Lusks - he is in the Lusk household with other young weavers and may not have know anything different.       

Keep digging,
Looby :)

Offline Rustypup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 January 15 19:38 GMT (UK) »

Hello

Just a thought about Hugh lodging with the Lusk family in Manse Street Saltcoats.
  Most of the inhabitants in this area were likely to be of Irish origin according to the census.
  Hope this helps.

Rusypup