Author Topic: The Ballyworkan Riot and Affray Case of 1858, Part 1  (Read 8788 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ballyworkan Riot and Affray Case of 1858, Part 1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Whilst certainly there seems to be only one William Campbell death in the right age range in Armagh in 1892, I am not convinced that the person with the tree I mentioned has sourced the correct chap/year of death.

In the past few minutes I have come across this post:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eni/

possibly one of yours, jayfull?

Anyhow, in the post the entry:

Margaret (baptized St. Mark's 21 Feb); emigrated to NZ 1864-1865 and then Australia 1867

for me now rules him out. As the 'sister' who emigrated to America and in whose tree 'William' is noted, was herself a Margaret.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Jayfull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that was my post too. I still think it's possible we're talking about the same family and that your other correspondent might just have two sisters confused. The William Campbell family I am researching did include a daughter who went to America, although her name was not Margaret but Emily. She was apparently known as Emma (married a man named Fergus -- that family's history is quite well laid out on the web). How do the other siblings in the tree you have compare to that post of mine you found?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I did come across the Emily/Emma Fergus nee Campbell on other posts. However, the 'Margaret' in the tree was indeed a Margaret. She married in Ireland and had some children there before the family emigrated to Rhode Island. The Ancestry tree in question is private, albeit as I was given access I have now added a comment to ask that they consider the probability of them having the wrong William Campbell's death entry.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Jayfull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 January 15 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like you're right. Nice talking to you.
All the best
Jayfull

Offline jdeckert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 May 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
This is a really interesting story. I've found that my great-great-great-grandfather was a John Pepper, and I'm wondering if it is the same man from the story. The time and location seem to roughly line up. According to family history, John Pepper "left Ireland because of some disputes over inherited property of which he was the administrator. In his anger he finally refused to have anything more to do with the property or the settlement and he left the country without claiming any of his share and refused any communications with the relatives. He never again discussed the property or the relatives who remained in Ireland." I don't have much other information on him, other than that he married Sarah Jane Malcolm of County Armagh, Ireland. They had a daughter Frances Pepper, who "records that she was born in Ardee, County Louthe and the house they lived in there was a large brick structure of three stories."

John Pepper is probably a common name, and I'm not sure that the dates line up exactly, but is there any other information which could either confirm this link or indicate that they're not the same? Thanks!

Offline Jayfull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 May 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Dear jdeckert,
The John Pepper in the Ballyworkan story left a detailed and interesting will which you will find by searching in the PRONI will calendars under the name John Henry Pepper, date of death 1882. There is a fair amount of information about relatives in the will that will help you establish whether he's your John Pepper. Would appreciate a reply on what you find.
Good luck!

Offline jdeckert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 May 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip, that's a really great resource. It doesn't look like it's the same John Pepper of my line. The PRONI database says that John Henry Pepper died in county Armagh rather than moving to the U.S., and none of the names in the will match my records.

But this was a good read, and I didn't know about the PRONI records, so that's very helpful. Thanks again!

Offline camish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jayful,
It was great to read your account of The Ballyworkan Riot, as our information from that time is getting very sparse.
I believe the William Campbell in this story  is part of our tree. We know he had these children MaryJane 1840,William 1841,John 1843 (our link),Elizabeth 1852 and Emily 1864(died in Erie Pennsylvania). There seems to be a few references to his wife being Mary Condon and I have possibly found 2 more girls who migrated to Australia (Margaret and Teresa). As most of the family photos were lost in a house fire in the early 1900s, I would be most interested in  a photo of William and any other information. I believe the William Campbell (death 2/11/1892) is linked to our family and the will makes sense to what we know.