Author Topic: Hugh HUGILL marriage ca 1675 and death ca 1707  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hugh HUGILL marriage ca 1675 and death ca 1707
« on: Thursday 01 January 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I hope someone can help me.  I have a Hugh Hugill of Barnskew, Reagill in parish of Crosby Ravensworth, born probably 1652, having children between 1676 and 1695 and I think dying between 1702 and 1709.  He was a maltster and had property in Appleby and possibly elsewhere.  I've quite a few references to him.
I think he was married to Margaret and there is a Boyd's index to a marriage in Brough under Stainmore in 1675. Does anyone have access to the records to this parish?  I also do not have his or his wife's burial which I would also like to find.
regards
Deborah

Offline JeanGris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh HUGILL marriage ca 1675 and death ca 1707
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 15 08:45 GMT (UK) »
One option is for you to order the microfilm of the parish registers you wish you look at through your local Latter Day Saints Library, which they will get for you for a small fee and I think you usually have about 3 months to look at the records. The LDS libraries are in most countries. including many in the UK. 

The following are early Wills/Admons of the Hugills which may be worth considering – from Carlisle Archive Service – I believe you can order these for a small fee.

Hugh Hugill, Morland (Thrimby) Wes, 1662 AI[81] (Administration and Inventory)
John yeo, Crosby Ravensworth (Barnskew) We 1662 WI [81] (Will and Inventory)
Joh, yeo, Crosby Ravensworth (Reagill) We 1696 W
Margaret, Crosby Ravensworth (Barnskew) We, 1662 AI [81]
Rob, yeo, Crosby Ravensworth (Reagill) We 1743 AI [124r]
Mary, wid, Crosby Ravensworth (Reagill) We, 1745 A [148r]

UNDER HEWGILL
PROB/1573/WINVX12
Inventory of Robert Hewgill, of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland
Diocese of Carlisle probate records. Photocopies/digital copies of wills, administrations and other probate records can be obtained from the Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle. Please contact the Archive Centre for more information

PROB/1587/WINVX/208
Will and inventory of Anthony Hewgill, the younger, of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland.
Diocese of Carlisle probate records. Photocopies/digital copies of wills, administrations and other probate records can be obtained from the Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle. Please contact the Archive Centre for more information

PROB/1589/WINVX/73
Will and inventory of Anthony Hewgill, of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland

PROB/1595/WINVX/51
Will and inventory of Robert Hewgill, of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland
Diocese of Carlisle probate records. Photocopies/digital copies of wills, administrations and other probate records can be obtained from the Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle. Please contact the Archive Centre for more information.

PROB/1627/WX37
Will of William Hewgill, yeoman, of Reagill, Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland

PROB/1637/WX67
Will of Hugh Hewgill, of Barnsceugh, Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland

Kendal Archives Ref: WPR 7/11/3/10/1
Alternative Ref WPR 7/8/2/12/1
Conveyance
Description
1 James Robinson of Reagill, yeoman
2. Thomas Whyte of Reagill, yeoman
Premises: 6 roods of customary lands within lordship of Reagill at a place called Seakeld, spring called Seakeld on the east and land of John Whyte on west, late in occupation of (1)
Rent: 6d; mylne rent: 4d payable to Philip, Lord Wharton
Consideration: £12
Witnesses: Hugh Hugill, Edward Walker, Robert Hugill, John Richardson
Date 31 Jan 1631

It may also be worth looking at Manorial Court Records for both Crosby Ravensworth and surrounds, which will give details of land transactions, etc. Any land whether passed on to the next of kin, or sold, mortgaged etc, had to have the permission of the Lord of the Manor, and so was recorded in the Manorial Court Records. There will also be Roll Calls of tenants.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/manorial-documents-register.htm

to search

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/

Click on BASIC SEARCH and type in locality you wish to look at for records.

There are 33 records for Reagill and surrounds which include Crosby Ravensworth, all under the Lordship of the Lowther Family, Earls of Lonsdale and records start in 1560. The records are all held at Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle. These records are usually written in Court Shorthand and the early ones will be in Latin.
Author of  THE GRISENTHWAITE NAME THROUGH TIME
Also researching:
Affleck; Holmes; Wilkinson; Watson

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Im working on the burgages of Appleby in Westmorland  and I have the following
Hugh  =  Margaret
         John
dated 1698 for a property down High Weind Hugh got the property from the Earl of Thanet and sold it in 1698 to Sir Christopher Musgrave. Hugh is called a Yeoman in the 1698 deed
In the other lists I have a Margaret with a will 1613
John  will 1585
Philip with a will 1573
these wills would before Appleby
 There is also a reference to Hugh Hugill selling anther property in Doomgate to Sir Christopher Musgrave in 1702
sorry cannot be much more help

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
(32) PHILLIP HUGILL of APPLEBY (1573)

The 1 of men

The Invytory of all the goodes of Phylypp Hugyll prysed by foure sworne men vyz Edmund Shiphard Henry Shiphard Wyllm Shiphard and Wyllm Sandford

His apparrell         xiijs iiijd   00-13-04
   One ox         xxs   01-00-00
   One qua and one stryet   xxs   01-00-00
   Two naggs      xxs   01-00-00
   xx Ship         xls   02-00-00
   Thre Stryckes         xxs   01-00-00
      Holl Summa      vj£ xiijs iiijd   06-13-04

Strychkes = Cows
Naggs = Horses
Que = Milk Cow
Styret = Calf
Ship = Sheep
£6-13-00 would be about £1125 in 1570's
See when I look there is more
Will bare the name in mind if I find more will pass on
regards
Westmorland

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thank you both for your replies and for the work involved!
I had not seen the 1573 Philip Hewgill reference, the 1631 conveyance nor the Appleby wills so that is extra information to be processed.
I already have (most of) the CR wills, some of the CR manorial records, the CR parish records and some other references for Hugills.  There is a lot of information there but still some blanks.
I'm trying to fill in those blanks and was hoping that someone might have the information I wanted without resorting to ordering anything.  I'm just being lazy!
Thanks again
Deborah