Author Topic: My Sarah  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
My Sarah
« on: Thursday 01 January 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to 'fill out' a story line for my Sarah Ann Argyle/Green..
She was born in Burbage Hinckley in 1838 the daughter of Thomas Argyle and Mary Ann Jarram.
She married Charles Annis Green in Jan 1857.
They went on to have 3 Children that I know about Albert - 1857 - Robert - 1859 and Julia 1862.

Charles was illegitimate and I have most I need on him but will work more on him later.

Sarah's family were various kind of shopkeepers / greengrocers etc.... around Hinckley.

Sarah and Charles also became Greengrocers - as shown in various census returns.

Charles died in 1888 in Leicester.

Then ......................

Sarah ---- died in 1894......

I have the newspaper write up and bless her - she died from burns after dropping her lamp and setting her clothes on fire. Not a nice end.

The write up states she was living with a 'John Green' for the last 3 yrs of her life.

So  I am hoping to find more on him and as much as possible about Sarah ---

the 1881 is not very clear, but I found her with Charles in Leicester he is a greengrocer and she a dressmaker.
the 1891 she is on her own widowed and a dressmaker, the address is Woodboy Street, which fits in with the family in later years.

Yes it does seem like I have more than enough on her... and all basic interesting/relevant details.

But I wondered if anyone could find anymore on the 'Lamp fatality' accident, which is reported in the Papers at the time.  And her relationship with John Green, I cannot connect him with family, so maybe the name Green is just a coincidence...

Anything extra to add would be great...

TIA

Xin  :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: My Sarah
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you got her death certificate, was he the informant or was it the coroner? If it was him, it might give the relationship.

My great great grandmother died in a similar way, clothes set alight by oil from an oil lamp.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 15 02:28 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 there was a John Green, a 40-year old widow living just yards away from Sarah in Britannia Street, occupation shoe finisher.  Not quite the same occupation I know, but a possible  :-\

This might be the same man in 1901 - 34 Charter Street, Boarder aged 52, Single, Shoe Rivetter. 

I've tried tracing him backwards but without much luck. The closest I can find in 1881 is at 188 Wellington Street, Leeds,  aged 34, Single, Shoe Finisher b Leicestershire, but in 1891 & 1901 there is a 41/51 year old John Green, Boot Finisher in Gomersal, Yorks, also b Leicestershire, so they could all be one in the same man.   :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 15 11:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks for replies xx

Groom the Informant was the Coronor  :-[

Jomot,
bless you will go through what you have - looks like a likely candidate :)

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Groom, just been going through the Newspapers and by just typing in 'burning fatataties'  it seems it was a very common death. 
How sad to think - thank goodness it is not so now...

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 January 15 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I just found a possible in the 1881 Leicester
Showing a John Green 'son in law' of Thomas and Jane Noble, but it states Unmarried in the relevant column.  He is a Shoe Rivetter... Living in Fennel Street?
I was looking as I noted he was down as Widower in the 1891...

So looking like, tracing John wont help really. :(

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Sarah REFRESHING
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
I still have nothing further 3 yrs down the line for this -- and really NOW I need to REFRESH my mind to see if I can find where she is buried .

Now as it is some time ago - I may well have once upon a time found her burial and put it aside and forgotten.. thats me.......  aaargh...

So attempting to attain a proper record and or visit to where this lot are buried..

I get no results on my NBI  so will try my Gilroes and Welford rd  indexes.

any help fresh with John Green would be interesting.  I worked out that the 3 children of her marriage all lived close by... 

just a curious post as to if and what the kids did for their Mother -- maybe 'nada'

xin

I am attempting to 'fill out' a story line for my Sarah Ann Argyle/Green..
She was born in Burbage Hinckley in 1838 the daughter of Thomas Argyle and Mary Ann Jarram.
She married Charles Annis Green in Jan 1857.
They went on to have 3 Children that I know about Albert - 1857 - Robert - 1859 and Julia 1862.

Charles was illegitimate and I have most I need on him but will work more on him later.

Sarah's family were various kind of shopkeepers / greengrocers etc.... around Hinckley.

Sarah and Charles also became Greengrocers - as shown in various census returns.

Charles died in 1888 in Leicester.

Then ......................

Sarah ---- died in 1894......

I have the newspaper write up and bless her - she died from burns after dropping her lamp and setting her clothes on fire. Not a nice end.

The write up states she was living with a 'John Green' for the last 3 yrs of her life.

So  I am hoping to find more on him and as much as possible about Sarah ---

the 1881 is not very clear, but I found her with Charles in Leicester he is a greengrocer and she a dressmaker.
the 1891 she is on her own widowed and a dressmaker, the address is Woodboy Street, which fits in with the family in later years.

Yes it does seem like I have more than enough on her... and all basic interesting/relevant details.

But I wondered if anyone could find anymore on the 'Lamp fatality' accident, which is reported in the Papers at the time.  And her relationship with John Green, I cannot connect him with family, so maybe the name Green is just a coincidence...

Anything extra to add would be great...

TIA

Xin  :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
I just found her in Welford Rd.

so that is a start.

xin