Author Topic: COMPLETED THANKS - Place name help please, in Ladywood, 1871 census  (Read 11439 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Place name help please, in Ladywood, 1871 census
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
So Alina Place in 1861 is not Alina Terrace in 1871? Bugger!
You might have to go through the census street by street; that site I referred to seems pretty straight forward. You could check both 1861, and 1891 to see what has changed.
Let us know how you get on.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 15 04:39 GMT (UK) »
So Alina Place in 1861 is not Alina Terrace in 1871? Bugger!
You might have to go through the census street by street; that site I referred to seems pretty straight forward. You could check both 1861, and 1891 to see what has changed.
Let us know how you get on.

I've been through that site, and also through the images for the 1881 and 1861 but it just doesn't seem mentioned. The way the streets were enumerated also changed which doesn't help. I think those houses were maybe just included in another street name for the 1861 census and gone by the 1881.

Detailed 1860's and 1870's maps might help.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 January 15 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Can you find the streets around Alina Terrace in the earlier and later censuses? If there are the same families, you might be able to pinpoint the area.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 January 15 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Canīt swear to it, but pretty sure itīs Alma Terrace.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 January 15 06:53 GMT (UK) »
So, is there an Alma Terrace near Icknield Port Rd?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 January 15 07:00 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 Alma's listed on the 1891 street index; 1 place, 2 streets (possibly named twice) and 1 Alma Mater Terrace. As far as I can tell from the index, none of them are near Icknield Port Rd. That's not to say it isn't one of them.

Added: and there's none of any of the above in 1841.  :(

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 January 15 07:19 GMT (UK) »
They were named in honour of the Battle of Alma (Crimean War) which took place in 1853, so you probably wonīt find any streets with that name on censuses prior to 1861.
That doesnīt necessarily mean that the properties were newly built after that date. They may have been existing streets that were re named.
The whole area was extensively cleared & rebuilt in the 70s & 80s & now consists mainly of Local Authority & Social housing.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 January 15 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Of course, why didn't I make that connection? :-[

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 January 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
The terrace was off Icknield Port Road, Ladywood, Birmingham, and probably between Arthur Place and the Pipers Building.

Did you work this out from checking the enumerator's route?

Could you please let us know the name and other details of the people at this address.