Author Topic: Frederick Charles Castle of Southborough and Tunbridge Wells  (Read 9379 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Charles Castle of Southborough and Tunbridge Wells
« on: Friday 02 January 15 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Im researching Frederick James Castle (1824-1897), land developer in Southborough and Tunbridge Wells and would appreciate some assistance in obtaining more details about his family.

I will  begin with what I know so I don't waste your time and then ask my questions.

Frederick was born 1824 in Southborough. He was baptised August 8,1824 (registered Tunbridge Wells). His parents were given as Charles Daniel Castle and Mary Castle. What can you tell me about Fredericks parents?

I found christening records for Henry Thomas Castle Aug 28,1822 Tunbridge Wells and William Wingate Castle Aug 16,1820 Tunbridge Wells both with parents Mary and Charles Daniel Castle, so these will be Fredericks siblings. I could find no other records for his siblings so I am wondering what can you tell me about his siblings?

Electoral records for 1857 ,1868,1895 give him as "Frederick James Castle, Southborough, Tunbridge Wells".

The 1851 census, at Southborough gives Mary Castle, age 56,widow, born 1796 Southborough. With her was her daughter Emma B Castle, age 32, born 1819 Southborough and her son Frederick born 1824 Southborough ; 2 servants; one boarder. Mary is a house proprietor. Frederick and his sister are both single (no occupation given).

The 1861 census, at London Road, Southborough gives Mary Castle, widow,born 1795 Tunbridge Wells, house proprietor. With her was her single son Frederick, born 1824 T.Wells, a hop factor; and one servant. I found the marriage record for Mary's daughter Emma so I don't need anything more for her.

Frederick is found in various records from the 1860's to the 1880's as a land developer associated with Camden Park where he owned land and also the Dorking Road development.

Frederick's probate record gave him of 63 Tressillian Rd, Brockley,Kent ,died May 15,1897. The executor of his 19,167 pound estate was his widow Kate Castle.

Now the story about Frederick and his wife gets interesting. An account about the Dorking Road development stated that Fredericks wife Kate had a son Frederick Arthur Sinden who in 1928 sold off the land in Dorking land that Kate had inherited from her husband Frederick James Castle. With that I found Kate Castle had a relationship with a Frederick James Sinden (1842-1912) and with her had two sons namely Frederick Arthur Sinden (1869-1945),born in Paddington,London  and Gorden Sinden, born 1874 Paddington,London.

The 1871 census at 54 Moscow Rd, Paddington gave Frederick Sinden, born 1831 Tonbridge with wife Kate, born 1840 brenchley,Kent and son Frederick A Sinden, born 1870 Paddington. Frederick was a hop merchant and Kate a "court dress maker" Also present was a woman who was a dressmakers assistant. Moving ahead to the 1901 census, at 20 St James Road,Tunbridge Wells is Kate Castle, age 60, born 1841 Brenchley, living on own means and with her was her son Gordon, an insurance agent, born 1874 Paddington, and one servant. Her son Frederick Arthur Sinden got married and had a family and appears to have married twice.

I have a death record for a Kate Castle in Tunbridge Wells April 10,1912 . Where and when was she buried?. Where and when was her husband Frederick Charles Castle buried (1897).Any grave photo's? Any photos of them while living? Any probate record for Kate? Although Fredericks probate of 1897 refers to Kate as a widow, is there any record of a divorce for them, or did she just leave her husband and take up with Mr Sinden and have two sons while still married to Mr Castle?

Any newspaper items regarding the life and career of Frederick Charles Castle would be much appreciated.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Charles Castle of Southborough and Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I also meant to say I could find no marriage record between Frederick and his wife Kate.Can you find one and I need any information about Kate, her maiden name, parents and siblings.

Also need any information about any children born to Frederick and Kate.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 January 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
To Shirl 100

The marriage record is most unusual ! It would suggest that Kate (whatever her maiden name was) must have first married Frederick James Sinden (1842-1912) and had two sons with him, and if she  married Frederick James Castle in 1896 ,as the marriage says, her first husband was still alive ,and so she must have divorced him to marry Mr Castle. Then Frederick James Castle died May 15,1897, only a year after his marriage to her when he was age 72 at the time of the marriage! Rather a late age to be getting married!! Does this make sense to anyone? Since her two Sinden sons were born 1870 and 1872 her marriage to Mr Sinden would be 1869 at the latest. Can anyone find that marriage?

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 January 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
This is quite complicated!I can't see a marriage for Kate to Frederick Sinden around 1869, have you found Frederick James  Sinden in any census after 1871? His birth year was shown as 1831 in the 1871 census, so I wondered where you had 1842 birth from.

Will keep looking

Shirl

Added Have you got either of the 2 Sinden children's birth certs? That should at least give Kate's maiden name, still looking for that marriage - maybe there wasn't one?
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 January 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
 A family tree gave me Kate Castle (1842-1912) with spouce Frederick James Sinden (1842-1912) with son Frederick Arthur Sinden (1869-1945) The 1901 census at 20 St James Rd, Tunbirdge Wells gave Kate Castle, age 60 as head of home and living with her was a son Gordon Sinden, boarn 1874 Paddington and one servant. Note Kates name is given as Castle and not Sinden.

The 1871 census I gave before had Frederick Sinden, born 18231 Tonbridge plus Kate (given as wife) and son Frederick A Sinden, born 1870 Paddington.

The 1891 census, at Deptford,London gave Frederick Sinden, born 1825 Tonbridge with "Kate Castle", given as wife, age 50 plus sons Arthur F Sinden ,age 21 and Gordon Sinden age 19. Note she is a "Castle" not a Sinden yet given as wife of Frederick Sinden

The probate for Kate has her as Kate Castle dying April 10,1913 in Tunbridge Wells with son Gorden Sinden named as one of the executors and as a "gentleman".

The baptism record for Gordon Sinden for Jan 9,1879 gave his parents as "Kate Sinden" and Frederick Sinden. So now she is a "Sinden" and not a "Castle".

I did find out some information about Charles Daniel Castle. He was a Lieut in the Royal Navy. National archives and other sources refer to him in the early 1800's (1808 The Naval Chronicle for example) on the ship 'Helicon'. Also found his marriage to Mary Brompton Aug 26,1816 at Saint Bride Fleet Street,London. Their daughter Emma B Castle was Emma Bromton Castle, taking her middle name from her mothers maiden name. Also found a will for Charles Daniel Castle dated October 29,1825 that says he died abt 1826. He left his estate to his wife Mary  and his five children.He is identified in the will as being of the Royal Navy. So I have all I need to know about Frederick James Castle's parents and siblings. Most of the mystery seems to be with his wife Kate.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 January 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »

The 1891 census, at Deptford,London gave Frederick Sinden, born 1825 Tonbridge with "Kate Castle", given as wife, age 50 plus sons Arthur F Sinden ,age 21 and Gordon Sinden age 19. Note she is a "Castle" not a Sinden yet given as wife of Frederick Sinden

The 1891 census that I can see has the wife as Kate Sinden on the image - am I looking at the wrong one? (Frederick, Kate, Arthur and Gordon).  No mention of Castle.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 January 15 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Is he Frederick Charles or Frederick james
'Frederick James Castle (1824-1897), '
and is Mr Castle the same person as Mr Sinden?

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 January 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have in my notes two different 1891 census records,both taken at 63 Nepillian Rd Deptford,London. The first is Frederick Sinden born 1825 Tonbridge with wife Kate, born 1841 Paddington with son Arthur F, born 1870 London and son Gordon born 1872 London. The second 1891 census I have is the same as above but I have written down Kate as Kate Castle. Perhaps the error is mine and I should have written down Kate Sinden.

The central figure in this inquiry is Frederick James Castle (1824-1897) referred to as Frederick Castle or Mr Castle. He is not a Sinden. The only Sindens I have are Frederick James Sinden whos birth is given variously as 1825 Tonbridge (1891 census) , 1831 Tonbridge (1871 census) and I do have a birth record for a Frederick James Sinden April qtr 1843 at St George Hanover Sq London(but this might be a red herring). A family tree says Frederick James Sinden (1842-1912) the spouse of Kate Castle and father or Frederick Arthur Sinden (1869/1870-1945)and Gordon Sinden, born 1874 Paddington (the birth and death dates given for Frederick James Sinden in this tree  don't appear to be reliable).As I have noted before the 1901 census taken at 20 St James Road,tunbridge Wells gave Kate Castle as head of the home , a widow, with son Gordon Sinden and one servant. Kate is given as a widow in this census so her husband (?) Frederick James Sinden must have died sometime before 1896 when in that year one of you found a marriage record between Frederick James Castle and Kate Sinden June 1896 at Greenwich. It seems to me that Kate's first husband ? must have been Mr Sinden who died before 1896 and then Kate Sinden married Frederick James Castle and that's why she appears as Kate Castle in the 1901 census. Do I have this right?