Author Topic: Connolly Brick wall - help required!  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Connolly Brick wall - help required!
« on: Friday 02 January 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year

I've dug the Connollys out again for a fresh look and to try and close some gaps. Having looked in the usual places not come up with anything additional and am wondering if anyone out there might be able to help.

I'm looking for :

1. Birth/Baptism of William Connolly born abt 1792 I think in Ematris parish. His parents were Robert Connolly and Jane Thompson. They were Presbyterian and so far as I know farmers

2. Marriage of above William Connolly to Elizabeth Jackson. William was a farmer. He died in 1873 and Elizabeth died in 1878. Both died in Corranewy townland, Ematris Parish. They are also listed in Griffiths at this address.

3. Births/Baptisms for their children. I have found marriage certs for 2 - Another William and a James. James is my gt gt grandfather who emigrated to Scotland 1860s. William went to NSW. I know there were more including daughters who family lore has went to US but no idea of names.

Grateful for any help!  ;)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connolly Brick wall - help required!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 January 15 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Unless church records extist you are unlikely to get a baptism record for William (born 1792) or his marriage. Presbyterian marriages pre-registration (before 1845) usually only list the date of marriage and names of bride and groom.

See here for Presbyterian Monaghan records-
http://www.irishgenealogy.com/county/monaghan.htm#pres
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Connolly Brick wall - help required!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 January 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey

The 1792 and parents for his birth I found on a very small paper congregation record for the area at PRONI and been through every film they have for that area across all religious persuasions. I know it wasn't legal for Presbyterian ministers to marry folks until 1782 so checked the C of I films.

The one thing I've not had a chance to do yet is visit the Presbyterian Church Centre in Belfast. So am assuming if they won't have them then that's the end of the trail. Shame but as always plenty more to look for!  ;)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-