Author Topic: Hannah Nelson c 1797 Terrington / Ganthorpe  (Read 2218 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Hannah Nelson c 1797 Terrington / Ganthorpe
« on: Saturday 03 January 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Can any one help please ?

Hannah is my 3rd great grandmother, and on census, she stated she was born Terrington/ Ganthorpe
Her age at death was 72, so this gives me the year 1797. Can anyone help with a baptism please.

She married John Horsman in 1818 at Malton

I thought her parents were William Nelson and Ruth Beverley, but this has proved not to be the case.
So it is back to the drawing board !!!

Many Thanks

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Nelson c 1797 Terrington / Ganthorpe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 January 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
What made you think William and Ruth were her parents and why do you no longer think this is the case ? I see a tree on Ancestry claims them as her parents.

Where did you get the information from ? Have you seen the Terrington parish registers ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »

There are several other trees for the family of William and Ruth Nelson of Malton that do not have a Hannah born in 1796/7. They do have an Hannah who was born about 1788. Ann d/o William and Ruth Nelson baptized on Oct 3 1788 at St Leonard's New Malton. So she would be about 9 years older than the Hannah Jeannie is looking for. William and Ruth's daughter was probably the Ann Nelson who married Samuel Thompson a Currier on 31 of March 1807 at St Leonard's New Malton.

1841 John and Hannah were at Terrington with a family of eight children. Both were rounded down to 40 years.

1851 They were at Falsgrave. Ann was stated to be 53 and born at Ganthorpe (transcribed as Gauthorpe)
There is no Hannah or Ann Nelson baptized at Terrington around 1796/7.

1861 Still at Falsgrave Hannah is stated to be 64 and born at Old Malton. Records for three Malton Churches do not show the baptism of Ann or Hannah Nelson in the late 1790s.

John Horseman and Anne Nelson were married at St Michael's New Malton on 5 Dec 1818. This marriage will have to be checked to see if Ann/Hannah was a widow. She may have been married previously.

Another possibility is that she was baptized under her mother's name but when her parents married she used her father's surname.

Or she does not really know where she was born and you will have cast the net more widely. Do the witnesses to her marriage give any clues?

Good Luck Jeannie
Venelow

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 15:12 GMT (UK) »
David and Venelow

Thank you so much for your response.

Venelow. You are spot on !

For what ever reason at the time, I attached the Ann Nelson born to William and Ruth in 1788, to my family. Just before Christmas, I was dotting the I's and crossing the T's, when I noticed that living with George Nelson born 1795 and Mary Nelson born 1793 both at Terrington, was a Ann Thompson, widow, sister, born 1788. That's when the penny dropped !!

I had committed the Cardinal sin of Geneaology. And I have no excuse

For my sins. I have spent hours researching Ruth's family, and have them back to about 1695, in Hackness and William's back to 1756 in New Malton

I do feel that there is a connection to this family in some way though. Perhaps my Hannah was illegitimate. There is a baptism for a Hannah Nelson, daughter of George and Ann, March 20th 1814,  I wondered if this was a late baptism, for some reason, but I would have thought that there would have been a note in the margin of the Parish Records.

I have not seen the actual marriage certificate of Hannah to John Horsman, so I think a visit to Borthwick is on the cards, now I am almost back to normal, after the Festive season. Perhaps any witnesses could give me a clue.

Hannah and John Horsman, actually had twelve children, four died in childhood, and were buried at
St Peters Anglican Church, Norton by Malton. As was John's father. I wonder if there is a clue here ?
Was she baptised in a Anglican Church.

Everything about Hannah, after her marriage, until her death, I am sure about.

Thank You for your input. I do always find it good to run things past people on Rootschat

JeannieR

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk