Author Topic: Baptism of Thomas TAGG/TEGG/TAGUE  (Read 1895 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Baptism of Thomas TAGG/TEGG/TAGUE
« on: Saturday 03 January 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I am still searching for the baptism of my 2xggrandfather Thomas.

Working backwards:

He was buried in Bagshot on 12th October 1866 age 80 per parish record.

In 1861 he was living in Windlesham, age 76 with wife Rebecca and son James age 33, born Hurst, with a squiggle next to it that could be 'Kent'.

In 1851 he is in Bagshot, with wife Rebecca, age 61, born Bagshot, Surrey.

In 1841 he is in Bagshot with wife Rebecca and sons William 20 and James 15, age 45 born in county.

Thomas and Rebecca baptise 5 sons and a daughter in Windlesham between 1816 and 1827 having married there in 1815.  The daughter and two sons die as infants, son James marries and moves to Guildford and son William marries and remains in Windlesham.  The other son Thomas, baptised 1819 simply 'disappears'.

There is no records in the Windlesham records for Tagg/Tegg/Tague before that date.

I searched Hurst, Kent and then realised that there is another, much closer, Hurst in Berkshire with a family of Tegg/Tagg/Tagues. 

James and Martha Tague baptised a daughter Mary in Hurst in 1794 and both Mary and Martha died were buried in 1795.  James remarried to Sarah Jordan in 1797 in Hurst and James and Sarah baptised 7 children in Hurst between 1797 and 1816.  Sarah and John died as infants, James married and moved to White Waltham,  William and a second John both married, (William stayed locally whilst John moved to Hampshire) Alice, Sarah and Elizabeth all married and stayed in the area around Hurst.

There is no marriage for a James Tegg/Tagg/Tague to a Martha in Hurst but there is one for James Tague of Chievely and Martha Bunce at Yattendon in 1785, which would fit with Thomas' birth in about 1786.   Assuming they moved to Hurst a short time later, Thomas would probably think of that as his birthplace.

Trouble is I cannot find a baptism for Thomas Tagg/Tegg/Tague about 1786 anywhere likely, let alone with parents James and Martha. :'(

Can anyone else help me please.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)