Author Topic: CALEB WHEELER b. 1705 prox. Wallingford, Berks  (Read 7235 times)

Offline VALEMBURY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CALEB WHEELER b. 1705 prox. Wallingford, Berks
« on: Saturday 03 January 15 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm struggling to find the baptism for Caleb Wheeler which I believe to be around 1705.  His parents were Henry and Mary Wheeler and he had at least one brother called Henry b. 1700, so hopefully there are still records for that area - I know it's a very large family.  Any help would be really appreciated - Val White
Embury ( London, Bibury) Hamlin (Bibury), Goullee (North London), Rolph (London, Walthamstow), Wheeler (London)

Offline Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CALEB WHEELER b. 1705 prox. Wallingford, Berks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

Henry Wheeler (Currier of Wallingford) the brother of your Caleb is my six times great grandfather.  I have a transcription of Henry's will in 1789 and Caleb's in 1792. Where did you find out that their parents were a Henry and Mary Wheeler and that Henry was born in 1700 ?

Kind regards

Tim

Offline VALEMBURY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim, thanks for responding, I am in Ireland at the moment but will reply when back home in UK next Thursday when I shall be able to look at my records.  Regards val
Embury ( London, Bibury) Hamlin (Bibury), Goullee (North London), Rolph (London, Walthamstow), Wheeler (London)

Offline VALEMBURY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,  I'm now back in UK and have looked at my past notes on the Wheelers.  My tree has grown considerably since I first posted that message but my main interest is of Caleb Wheeler, born in 1713 bpt. 5/11/1713 as I now know, and one of his children from his 2nd marriage to Mary Cowcher, who was Sophia Wheeler.  She was my g,g,g,g,grandmother.  Your Henry was born 1706 as I expect you know and their parents were Richard Wheeler and Sarah Bartlett.  I also have copies of the Wills, and in particular Henry's which confirms Caleb was his brother living in St. Lukes Finsbury, London.  A lot of the very early records I got from a website called DustyDocs, part of the Family Search site.  I am quite happy for you to have my e-mail address but not sure how to get it to you as they don't seem to like you posting them on here.  If you think we can help each other at all, please let me know and we'll take it from there.  Best wishes Val

Offline Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes I had found the two baptisms of Henry and Caleb to
Richard Wheeler & Sarah. I have not found the marriage of Richard to a Sarah Bartlett, when and where was it ? and I have not been able to get back any further, have you ?.  However I did find in the Oxfordshire marriage bonds, what appears to be, a second marriage for Richard, widower, innholder, of Watlington to a Elizabeth Minchin of Watlington at St Peter in the East, Oxford  on the 2nd of August 1745.  Any ideas which of the Inns in Watlington Richard had, I notice there was and still is a Carrier Arms, perhaps it was once called the Currier Arms!

I am glad you have Henry's will. If there is anything you want to know about Henry and his descendants will be happy to let you know.

Kind regards     Tim

Offline VALEMBURY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

This is what I have prior to Richard and Sarah.  Thomas Wheeler b. 1604 Bicester Oxon, married Alse Oakly on 1/6/1634.  Children were:  Thomas b. 1634, John b. 1636, Mary b. 1638, Joane b. 1641.  The line descends from Thomas Wheeler b. 1634 St. Giles Oxon, who married Jane  ?  b. 1640 in 1659 prox.  Children: Jane b. 1660, Thomas b. 1664, Richard b. 1674, William b. 1676, Henry b. 1677, Breget b. 1682, all in Abingdon Berkshire.  We descend from Richard b. 1674 who married Sarah Bartlett b. 1671 Watlington, in 1694.  Children:  John b. 1694, Richard b. 1697, Joseph b. 1699, Sarah b. 1701, Mary b. 1703, Henry b. 1706 (your line) m. Mary Shank 1731, Elizabeth b. 1708 m. Robert Ridge b.1708  d.1754 Abingdon on 12/4/1729, Benjamin b. 1711, Caleb b.1713 (my line) m. (1) Mary Costin 30/10/1743  (2)  Mary Cowcher 30/5/1765.  Sophia Wheeler was from Mary Cowcher and married John Johnsons Embury on 6/5/1793 Bibury, Glos.  It is the Embury family which is my main interest.  I was thinking that as Richard would have been over 70 when he remarried, it may have been the son Richard's 2nd marriage and not his, and I don't have any info on the inn I'm afraid.  Hope you can make sense of the above and that it helps.  Please ask if you have any queries, you never know, I might just have the answer and vice versa.  Best wishes Val

Offline Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

Many thanks for your great help. Yes you are probably right that
the 2nd marriage relates to Richard's son.

Now found all the baptism and marriage entries you mentioned on our main line
with exception of Richard & Sarah Bartlett's marriage in 1694, where did you find that ?

Thanks again

Tim

Offline VALEMBURY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
I found all those details on Family Search 1881, Ancestral File No. 2FWF-J7Q - Thomas Bartlett b. 1636 m. Jane  ?  b. 1649, had Sarah bpt. 1/5/1672 (other children),  m. Richard Wheeler bpt. 21/2/1674 Abingdon, in 1694 Watlington, Oxford - it doesn't give full date unfortunately.  Maybe you have access to other parish records for that area and can find out more - I hope so but if I can help any other way, please ask Tim.    All the best Val

Offline Tim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 09:20 BST (UK) »

Hi Val

Many thanks for all your help.   

Tim