Author Topic: searching for the family Crottey Whelen  (Read 7962 times)

Offline rinnan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for the family Crottey Whelen
« on: Saturday 03 January 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about the family Grotty Whelan from ballingrane shannacarry cork. I have only been able to go back to the birth of Hannan Grottey 1888. But then I hit a dead end. As for Whelan. David Whelen 1885 was the son of Robert Whelan  (1860 - 1920 and Alice johnson ( 1860 - 1885 ) but then there also a dead end.
I am not really a novice , I have been able to find my family back ( Norway ) to 1500 but this is my husbands line. Hopefully I can get more leads here . Thank you all for any help. If anyone needs help on Norway, just let me know . I have so many resources from Norway. kind regards Louisa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: searching for the family Crottey Whelen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't know that area very well but am struggling to find this place in Cork- closest I've come are townlands called Ballingarrane and Shanagarry in Kilmahon civil parish (Middleton P.L.U./registration district).

I did find this David Whelan in the 1901 census with Johnson grandparents who seems to be the right age-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Queenstown_Urban/Bishop_Street/1163019

Johnson family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Queenstown_No__2_Urban/Bishop_Street/406620
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this is Hannah Crotty (not Hannan Grotty as in original post)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Queenstown_Urban/Harbour_View/1163433

The marriage certificate should list her father's name and occupation (unless illegitimate).

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 January 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching Johnson's in Cobh, Aghada and Passage. Is the Johnson angle of interest ?
I've collected many records but the various Johnson and associated families remain a jigsaw of potential associations.

I'm guessing you have the Baptism records of  three siblings of David from RootsIreland, Mary J 1877, Alice Mary, 1879, and Catherine in 1882.
The marriage and baptismal sponsors maybe of interest? None are Whelan's though?
I recall trying to trace them and most seem to be local shopkeepers:  Robert Whelan was a baker.
(Have you managed to trace where Robert Whelan was originally from?)

Of David's siblings, Mary married James Ware in 1883, another sister Elizabeth(can't find bap) married Peter Ware in 1893, Catherine married James O'Connor in 1894.
( :-\ Opps, glitch, these are the marriages of David's  Aunts)

David's mother, Alice Johnson, was the dau of Patrick Johnson and Mary Reilly, Patrick was a Cobh butcher. Many mentions in Court and Legal records on Findmypast.ie.
I have some info on her siblings as well. I am trying to establish or otherwise a link between this Johnson family with my own.

Happy to share more
Padraig
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline oldkingkole

• RootsChat Extra
  • west Cork and around Cork Harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello again....couldn't help myself!!!
forgot to point out that it looks like  Robert Whelan was married twice,
first to Alice Johnson on 19th June 1875 in Cobh.
If you order the marriage cert. Alice Johnson, Cork, vol 10 p115 from the GRO this will give you Robert's fathers name and profession, it may also give a locality where the Whelan's maybe outside of Cobh.
It looks like Alice Whelan nee Johnson  died in 1885 aged 31. Deaths Cork v 5 p 136.
It maybe sadly at childbirth with David

Robert Whelan seems to have remarried in 1886 to  a Jane Casey.
In the 1901 census they are lodging with a Thomas Martin, also a baker, in Douglas St,  Cork City
1911 now around the corner in Mary St, Cork.
Robert died in 1927, aged 75. A cursory search couldn't find any Will through the National Archives.
Regards Padraig.
O Driscoll, McCarthy, Collins, Fitzgerald, Johnson, Gunn, Swanton, Barry, O'Neill, O'Mahony,
O Donoughue, O Mahony, Connolly, Cadogan.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 15 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Padraig ,have noted that you have David's sisters getting married rather young ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 January 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
For reference here are the entries for Robert Whelan with 2nd wife Jane. I didn't post them yesterday when I found them as I was waiting for OP to respond.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cork_Urban_No__5/Douglas_Street/1113906
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/Mary_Street/399449

Offline rinnan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 January 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the great links.  But I do see something that doesn't make sense.

"Of David's siblings, Mary married James Ware in 1883, another sister Elizabeth(can't find bap) married Peter Ware in 1893, Catherine married James O'Connor in 1894."

I think this is a mix up :o

I will get back to you. Now it looks like I have more leads to check out. Thank you all so much.
My Alice Johnson 1860-1885  Is said to have two sisters Teresa Johnson and  Elisabeth ( Lily ) Johnson, but no parents found yet. Maybe with the links I have now?

and yes the name was wronge it should be Crotty and not Grotty.
Louisa