Author Topic: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassington  (Read 12082 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 18:14 GMT (UK) »
If the Mother was not married, then the child will show as Graves/Graves at birth.
There is no male Graves/Graves born in 1943 to 1945 in Lincolnshire.
There are 11 male births throughout the country for 1943 to 1945. (Sent away to give birth?)
Is the surname definitely Graves, not Greaves or Grieves etc?
Any more information on the names of her parents?

Offline fedagent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 15 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Good question. It could be Greaves or Grieves. Come to think of it that is how it sounded phonetically when my Dad pronounced the name.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
As you have been in touch with people in Bassingham, did you try to learn the names of the Farmer and his family?

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 January 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
There are people named Graves in Bassingham in 1911 so name is probably correct.

There is a male birth in Lincoln in 1945, Lincoln or Newark would be the obvious places.

Edit       On looking at that again it looks as though that birth was to a married couple and MMN is different.

There doesn't appear to be any Graves births anywhere at that time where the MMN is  Graves.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 January 15 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I could see Graves living in Bassingham in the 1890's, 1900's but not 1911 - so apologies if I missed them.

But as I could not see a family in 1911 called Graves, and no birth for a Margaret Graves in Bassingham, I wanted to know if they were there as farmers for only a short time, which could still be decades.

Also, because of the lack of suitable births for Margaret's son, then either incorrect spelling, or birth out of district, but we were told birth at Bassingham.

So as the poster has been in contact with people in Bassingham, I wondered if they had identified wartime farms and tenants etc.

Offline fedagent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 - 1946 Italian prisoner of war - Bassingham, Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Mr. Graves or Greaves or Grieves was a tenant farmer in the area. In addition to owning his own farm, he also was, as was common during the war, a tenant farmer on other land. I was able to establish, through an individual living in the area, that one of the farms was nearby Bassingham close to Disney Norton. The property was apparently owned by the Haywoods. The property has been sold, but for a time it was a B&B named The River Farm House.

The two individuals I met in Bassingham, were not able to shed any light on the name or whereabouts of the Graves family. Thanks.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Scroll down to Number 138, there was a camp at Bassingham.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/nov/08/prisoner-of-war-camps-uk#data
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Jaywit,

The poster has been in touch with people in Bassingham 3 (?) years ago, and is fully aware of the camp.

http://www.withamstaple.com/GArchive/CArchiveHistory.htm

I cannot see a Graves in the telephone directories in ancestry for Bassingham around the war years, which is annoying.