Author Topic: Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. 1892  (Read 5611 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. 1892
« on: Sunday 04 January 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where a copy of this may be obtained/ viewed/ downloaded:

"Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley: From Papers in the Possession of Richard Veevers, Issues 2-3", 1892, 16 pages.

I am assuming that this is an addition to the book by William Winckley FSA "Documents Relating to the Winkley Family", published in Harrow, 1863, which I have.

I don't know who Richard Veevers was but I've done a quick trawl in the 1891 census and it seems to be a Lancashire name. The 1863 book identifies Lancashire origins for the Winkley family (Winkley Hall in nearby Stonyhurst? and other details) who moved to Lincolnshire and then Harrow.  I've sent a speculative enquiry to the Lancashire Local History Federation and to the Harrow Local History Library.

The 2 spellings of the name are both correct.
A similar question is also posted in the Common Room and London & Middlesex

Any help much appreciated.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. 1892
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
all I could find of note as a William Winkley having a son baptised - abode Hornby - occupation , a Butler at Hornby Castle

Baptism: 4 Jun 1882 St Margaret, Hornby, Lancashire, England
William Ernest Winkley - son of William Winkley & Emily
    Abode: Hornby
    Baptised by: B T Winterburn Vicar

so -is Hornby close to Stonyhurst ???...I will see if I can find out

ADDED....43 miles ....doesn't look like a possible family member ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
This won't help much except to flesh out context, but, in the "The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1892, Volume 46" on page 295, it says:

"The two parts of the Notes on the Family of Winckley are from papers in the possession of Mr. Richard Veevers, are privately printed for William Winckley, F.S.A., of Flambards, Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex, England. No. 2 was issued in October, 1891, and No. 3 in February, 1892. They preserve valuable matter."

This appears to be a note that refers to a Book Notice printed on a previous page (p. 293) called:

"Additional Notes on the Family of Winckley. No. II. 8vo. pp.3. No. III. 8vo. pp. 14."

You can read the entries in the Register for yourself here:
https://archive.org/details/newenglandhistor46wate

I also saw where the papers had been gifted to the Society of Antiquaries of London in 1892 but then subsequently returned (in one of their Proceedings in 1892). Which is a shame since the organisation still exists and their library catalogue is even online. I double checked but it isn't there though they have a number of catalogues and I could have made a mistake. I couldn't find anything else.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 January 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
There was this listing in the Lancashire Libraries digital catalogue, is it the one you are after?
http://capitadiscovery.co.uk/lancashire/items/67225?query=Winckley&resultsUri=items%3Fquery%3DWinckley#availability

From the Stonyhurst Magazine.

If that is the right one, it appears to be at the Harris library in Preston

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the library info, Barbara.  I went to my local to see if there could be an inter-library loan but they apparently needed an ISBN number...which there wasn't.  So I've contacted the Harris Library in Preston directly.  They've been very helpful and are looking into it.  I don't know if this is a reference to or duplicate of the other publication(s).  We'll see.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know if any joy,

Ray

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi esfam.  I followed up your lead and found the entries in the "The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1892".  I note that it was privately printed for William Winkley FSA, who was the author of the original book in 1863 and who died in 1897.  I've tried to identify your source in the Society of Antiquaries of London (where you say 'it was gifted...but then subsequently returned') but without success.  Can you point me in the right direction (I did a search in their general catalogue).  Much appreciated if you can.

Thanks for your help

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input garstonite.  You're right it doesn't look like these Winkleys are family members.  Thanks anyway.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
As promised, feedback.  I contacted the Harris library in Preston and they were very helpful.  I now have a copy of the 6 pages in question...in latin but, fortunately, translated into English.  This is not one of the other publications referred to. Publication date is different as are the number of pages, so still trying to locate copies of them.

However, this item did give a useful piece of information - it is copied from the Stonyhurst Magazine of 1887 but, according to a note at the end it was "Privately printed for William Winckley FSA of Flambards Harrow-on-the-Hill. Middlesex, by Messrs Nichols and Sons, 25 Parliament Street, Westminster, January AD 1893".  So, printed London, not Lancashire.

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 15 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi estiman,

Sorry - I should have put the reference in anyway.  :-[

See page 95 here:
https://archive.org/details/proceedings214sociuoft

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London
November 25, 1891, to June 22, 1893
Second Series, Vol. XIV

BTW: From what I have been seeing around the net, I think the initials "F.S.A." after William Winckley's name stands for "Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London".