Author Topic: Rhoda Niblett of East Dean/Flaxely  (Read 2334 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhoda Niblett of East Dean/Flaxely
« on: Monday 05 January 15 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Good evening
I am wondering if someone can throw some light on where to look for a possible marriage.

I am researching Rhoda Niblett born East Dean, Gloucestershire to James Niblett and Ann (MS Bennett).   Christened 22 March 1857 Flaxley.

She left from Plymouth as a single woman on the Rangitiki and sailed for Port Canterbury (now Port Lyttleton) NZ arriving November1877.  She emigrated using the Assisted Emigration to Canterbury Scheme and had a recorded occupation as General Servant.  On arrival at the port she was immediately put on a train to Timaru South Canterbury NZ and in 1878 married William Welsh - both creating my ggg grandparents.
Rhoda is a bit of a mystery as on her marriage certificate to William at Pleasant Point South Canterbury she is recorded as being a widow.  Then on her death Cert she is recorded as being married 3 times: the first as a 15 year old in 1873 in England, then to William Welsh and finally to James Wilson (a year after William died).  I understand that maybe her surviving children did not know the name of her first husband hence it was not recorded.

I am very curious about this first marriage and wondered if anyone can assist me or point me in the right direction to solve this puzzle.

Many thanks for your time
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rhoda Niblett of East Dean/Flaxely
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Can't see anything obvious on FreeBMD?

Maybe it wasn't an "official" marriage?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 15 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking, I always wonder if there is something that I missed.  Do you know if there was a legal age to marry at that time?  I guess living together then would be the same as now?
Thanks for the thoughts
Blacksmithy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
The minimum legal age only applies if she told the truth when marrying!
No proof has ever been asked for?!

And, if two people start living together, and call themselves man and wife, who is going to argue?
Especially if they are in a strange town.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
thanks for confirming my thoughts.
Rhoda appears to have led a feisty life in NZ (paperspast is a good reference) so nothing would surprise.  Just a shame none of the living relatives I have contacted have any knowledge of her, only memories of her children.  Will need to let this part of history go I think.

Many thanks
Blacksmithy

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 15 20:58 BST (UK) »
Have you found a record of Rhoda's 'second' marriage? If she had been married before, it is unlikely that she would be marrying with the surname of Niblett - and her surname at the time of her second marriage would be that of her first husband.

As another contributor remarked - the first marriage could have been unofficial - or it could be a family story with little truth in it.
WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 July 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks for your query - it has come out of the blue but always exciting to think someone is looking or posing thoughts that may lead to a discovery!  Unfortunately no I haven't found out any more about her marriage prior to that of William Welsh.  She is clearly identified in all the Niblett family research, and her registration under the Canterbury scheme passenger list has her as a Niblett.  Rhoda's  Marriage cert to William Welsh states she was married previously and her Death cert states she was married in England in 1873 aged 15ish.  I imagine she would have given the information for her marriage cert so can only assume this to be accurate - but the informal marriage is possible.  Although Death Cert information can be questionable as it is not the actual person giving the info, in this case I would see it as backing up Rhoda's marriage cert information.
I am not sure of what the rules/legalities were around age at marriage and co-habitation in the mid 1870!  Perhaps she left England to leave a relationship - oh to find a family diary somewhere!!

Any further thoughts or ponderings would be greatly received and thank you for keeping the post alive  :)