Author Topic: DNA - Brick Wall - Elphick  (Read 649 times)

Offline Lubricated

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seen it in another tree? Doesn't mean it's right!
    • View Profile
DNA - Brick Wall - Elphick
« on: Monday 05 January 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Most of us have brick walls.  I was lucky to solve one of mine and then have the solution confirmed later via the use of Y DNA testing. 

I am currently researching Seaman, Seamer, and Seymour in East Sussex, England.  One line leads to a marriage with a Thomas Elphick. They had a son, Thomas Elphick, who along with his wife Esther, was charged with the murder of an illegitimate child of his daughter.

Thomas and Esther were found “Not Guilty” on the direction of the Judge, but an unfortunate consequence for Thomas was that the body of his mother was exhumed and a second inquest held. His mother had died quite suddenly the year before and,  following the charge of murder of his grandchild, rumours started that he might have murdered his mother.  The second inquest determined his mother had died "from the administration of arsenous acid by persons unknown."

This all happened in 1848. I have not been able to find a single trace of this family, Thomas, Esther nor their 5 children, since 1848.  They have simply disappeared.

In my own tree my Great Grandfather changed his name from Styles to Thomas. He walked out on his first wife. 5 years later he bigamously married my Great Grandmother.

I can’t help but feel that the most likely explanation for this Elphick family’s disappearance is that they moved away and changed their name, and quite possibly their ages and places of birth. A complete new identity.

Which of course would create a brick wall for any descendant working backwards.

So if anyone out there has had a Y DNA check which suggests their Paternal line is “Elphick” and this name is completely unknown to them contact me for more information.

If any moderator feels this is more appropriate to another board please don’t hesitate to move it.  I’m a newbie to Rootschat and I don’t want to get into trouble with multiple postings!
Stiles/Styles - Essex, Cambs, Herts, Beds, Middx
Caldecoat & variants - Cambs (Foxton/Meldreth areas)
Chancellor - Berkshire
Mallam - Wiltshire, Berkshire
Shortridge - Cumberland and Scotland
McKew - East London (Mile End, Bethnal Grn, Etc)
Edge - Buckinghamshire
Wyatt, William - supposedly born Greenwich 2 April 1861
Smith - Kingsclere, Hampshire 1750-1800