Author Topic: Townland in Kilbexy/Kilbixy or Kilberry & Ansell family  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Townland in Kilbexy/Kilbixy or Kilberry & Ansell family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder could it be as simple as, she was from Ben, or maybe a house with the hill of Ben as a view.
Kilbixy could have been the nearest Anglican church, although you would have to get around two lakes, still a view of the hill could be some distance from it.
Just a thought.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 15 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I think you may be right, Sinann. It could be that simple. There are no Ansells in the Tithe Applotment books although familysearch has just 5 results in th elate 1820s with similar names.

Thanks for the idea.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 January 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Found an online tree that gives marriage of Richard Hayter & Sarah Ansell 10 Aug.1817 in Kilberry, Kildare  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's the Hatchard/Hawes tree of the new cousin I found through the 'John Hayter carte de visite' thread - it is her who had the photocopy of the bible front page & sent it to me; if so the county is not specified & Kilberry is her interpretation of the word. She is a direct descendant of that John Hayter, who was brother to my direct ancestor.

That's why I'd really like a general feel for whether others think the word is Kilberry or Kilbixy  :). Would you recommend posting on the deciphering board?

IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
To me it looks like an X, I just can't see two R's in it. It's the other word that's doing my head in.
There is nothing much in the way of evidence for either family name in Westmeath which doesn't help.
A scan rather than a photocopy might help but I'm guessing you don't know these cousin very well to ask for that.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Sinann- I see an x but not rr
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinann, I agree with 'x'; also have struggled to find any Ansells - I wonder if Sarah was from, say, an army family passing through. Richard was from Windlesham, Surrey. The Hayters are one of my mother's lines; coincidentally if it is Kilbixy, that's pretty close to Mullingar where my paternal grandmother came from.

A scan is in the process of being requested but the cousin says "The original is held by my great aunt's daughter-in-law who is 90.  I have asked my mother to contact her and see if she could re-copy the document or someone could scan it.". So it may be a while.

Thanks aghadowey.

Offline Kevin O'Brien

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Dont Worry Too Much About It - There is ALWAYS Some F*****g S**t | Professional account listed below
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 January 15 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Kilbixy is a small townland north of the Village of Ballyncargy. It is also the name of the Church of Ireland Parish (now Kilbixy & Almorita).

I am actually from Kilbixy. I will keep an eye out for Ansells and Binnings.

A potential query may be made to Wilson's Hospital School" to see if any Ansells went to school there.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 January 15 17:47 GMT (UK) »
That's really useful information, thank you Kevin.

And welcome to rootschat  :)

Josey