Author Topic: Gilpin - Christchurch  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilpin - Christchurch
« on: Monday 05 January 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a GILPIN family, origianlly from Co. Armagh, Ireland. Family history is that two brothers migrated to Christchurch, New Zealand around 1892. They were born in Co. Armagh,  c 1870. Sadly I don’t have their Christian names.

Are there any records of GILPIN arrivals in New Zealand around that year that might fit this (rather vague) information?
Elwyn

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gilpin - Christchurch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

You could try looking at FamilySearch.org > New Zealand, Archive New Zealand Passenger Lists - 1839-1973.
[I did have a quick browse at these but nothing stood out for the timeframe you mentioned. ]

There were earlier GILPINs (from Armagh) who arrived in the Canterbury region (includes Christchurch) from 1860's to 1870's.   Might the brothers you are seeking, have come to family members residing in NZ ??

~  Lu

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gilpin - Christchurch
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 15 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Lu,

The information I have is rather vague. (Too vague really). It concerns a James Gilpin believed to be from Seagoe parish, Co. Armagh born c 1871 – 1873, who is known to have emigrated to the USA in 1890- 92, aged about 19. However the age is too vague. There are several James Gilpins born in Co Armagh at that time, and so it’s not easy to identify the correct one. We have not so far been able to find a marriage or death record in the USA that gives his parents names.

The only other information we have is that he had two brothers (forenames unknown) who migrated to New Zealand reportedly around the same time.

I don’t know if they were going to join earlier migrants. Indeed I really don’t know nearly enough!

I see that several of the Gilpins on the NZ passenger lists came from Seagoe, although somewhat earlier than my time scale. However perhaps that’s the family. (Perhaps it was James’ father’s brothers who emigrated to New Zealand. That would fit with the timescales better). I’ll investigate anyway. Thank you.
Elwyn