Author Topic: The children of Charles DANIELS and Eliza GAME  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The children of Charles DANIELS and Eliza GAME
« on: Monday 05 January 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi and happy New Year.

I am looking into the children of Charles DANIELS (1823-1904) and Eliza GAME (1823-1902). I have made good progress but still have some problems, which are proving difficult. As far as I am aware, they had 12 children, three of whom (Charles William, Jane and Rosina) died in infancy. The 1861 census (RG9/137/20/4) has the five eldest surviving children  (George Thomas, William George, Sarah, Ellen and Charles) living at home at 4 Red Cap Cottages, Islington. The 1871 census (RG10/300/56/11) has 7 of the 9 surviving children (George Thomas, William George, Charles, Ellen, Charlotte, Mary Ann and Emma) living at home at 29 Scholefield Road, Islington. I assume that Sarah (b1851) and Ellen (b1852) are in service by the 1871 census, aged 20 and 18 respectively, but cannot find them on the census. Sarah married in September 1871 to William Edward Swinden and Ellen in August 1872 to Alfred Holden, so both were single at the time of the 1871 census. Sarah re-appears in 1881 and can be traced thereafter to her death, but Ellen never re-appears. I would love to be able to find them on the censuses, as well as date of death for Ellen. Two other census problems are Charles (b1855) who can't be found on the 1881 census, having married Mary Ann Hewitson in 1872, and Charlotte (b1864) who can't be found on the 1881 census, when she would have been about 17. Finally, I have been unable to locate deaths for both Charlotte (b1864), who married John Hall in November 1885 and Mary Ann (b1866), who married Robert John Taylor in December 1889. Any help with any of the above would be much appreciated.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The children of Charles DANIELS and Eliza GAME
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

An online tree at Ancestry has 15 children

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 15 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Really? The most I have ever seen is 12 and I'm not sure that those are all accurate.

Can you give me a clue as to where to look? If not on this board, I would appreciate a private e-mail.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 January 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
do you have a subscription to Ancestry?

If so, I searched for Charles Daniels with spouse Eliza Game, the tree is called Daniels Family Tree and the tree owner is edmonton25

some of the children have specific dates of birth
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 January 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have a subscription. I will have a look now. Thanks

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 January 15 17:00 GMT (UK) »
OK. I have now looked - there are only 14 by the way!. It is of course unsourced and contains a number of errors. The death of my Great Grandfather George Thomas is given as 20 Jan 1917, whereas it was in fact 29 Jun 1906. The first born child Charles William  - born 31 Jul 1845, died 1847 - is missing. As is another suspected child Rosina, b1859, d1861. I have never heard of the Emma b1848, Alfred b1860, Eleanor b1863 or Annie b1866.

Clearly this needs to be investigated, but I am surprised. I have baptism records for Charles William, George Thomas, Charles, Jane, Rosina, Eliza, Charlotte, Mary Ann and Emma. The first two at All Hallows, Tottenham, the next two at St Barnabas, Islington, the next four at St John, Holloway, and the final one at St Stephen's, Holloway.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 January 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
 There's  2 possibilities    for  Charlotte in 1881 ,   ages are given as 15 for both   so  c1866 and  both  are servants...........  one gives St Giles Middlesex  as POB  and the other St Marys  Middlesex    it's possible  that the  head  of house gave  wrong  info ? 

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 15 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Always possible. I imagine that the heads of households with servants did not always know - or care about - the details of their servants lives. But how to distinguish between the two?

Meanwhile, even the number of children now seems uncertain.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 January 15 17:19 GMT (UK) »
There's  a Charlotte  Hall    death  in 1946  aged 82    but  in Yorkshire  (Don Valley registration District )      long  way from London though  and Hall being   a   popular surname   it  may not  be   the correct  one