Author Topic: Marion Woodburn - b. Ayr, Scotland, possibly 1819  (Read 26957 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Woodburn - b. Ayr, Scotland, possibly 1819
« Reply #72 on: Friday 03 March 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polly,
I've just started researching my McEwin ancestors. I'm looking at a copy of an excerpt from the family bible of Margaret Hester McEwin, b.Apr 26, 1795, Caddington England, married John McEwin at Dumfries 19th Seot 1811. They migrated to Melbourne Australia in 1839 with their youngest six children  - They had 10 sons & 1 daughter - including Andrew McEwin, who m'd in Melbourne & settled in N.Z., and my great great grandfather Joseph Nash McEwin.

Welcome to Rootschat, Diana . What a great document ( the excerpt from the family bible) ! I hope Polly picks up your message as she's not been online since May 15. I know she would be thrilled with any information you could give her.

Looby :)

Offline TerriC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana,
You must be a descendant of Edna Scambler!!! I too have a transcript of the extracts of that bible, and have been searching for the original for years!
I have oodles of info about the McEwins and would be very happy to share. I've been researching them for years. I'm descended from Andrew.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to connect offline.
Cheers,
Terri
Collis, McKinley, Walsh, Griffin, Thirkill, Stephenson, Turner, O'Connor, McEwin, Grant, Woodburn, Bright, Farrell, Daniel, Nash, Simpson, Collins, Delaney, Blanchfield, Bell

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 25 June 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly, Terri,

Afraid I can't help with the mystery of Marion's birth but I can help with Willie (although not why she was called Willie. Willie is my 4x grt Aunt.  She died on 18 Mar 1888 and she was a spinster, living alone.  She was the daughter of David Woodburn and Jessie Caldwell.

From what I have found so far I Archibald Woodburn (b1801) is the son of John Woodburn and Janet Sellers.  I believe that John was the brother of David.
Hi pharmaT,

This is the first time in ages that I have checked RootsChat and was surprised - and happy :) - to see that others had posted since I was last here. I have not much time to spare at the moment, but thought I would quickly mention what I know about this situation. From what I understand, the John who was married to Janet Sellers was not the brother of David Woodburn married to Jessie Caldwell; he was his father :o. John Woodburn (married to Janet Sellers) was born 1747 and had three wives; he had children with each (about 16 children in all). David Woodburn (born 1776 and husband of Jessie Caldwell) was born during his first marriage to Ann Guthrie. Archibald Woodburn (b.1801) was born during his second marriage to Janet Sillers. John later married Margaret Blair and had more children. He died in 1812. I discovered all this when I made contact with a descendant of George Woodburn who was another son of the John’s first marriage to Ann Guthrie.

This all means that Archibald Woodburn b.1801 would have been the half-brother of David Woodburn b.1776 and uncle of David Woodburn b.1805. Confusing I know.

Polly :)

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 26 June 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Polly - you said "Something that still mystifies me is how Archibald Woodburn (born 1801) was connected to the David Woodburn/Janet Caldwell family. I see there is an inscription for Archibald on the Woodburn grave..."

Well, I have just discovered the probate for Willie's will, in which it states that an Archibald Francis Woodburn was her nephew....

http://sharing.ancestry.com/7865457?h=ad1650&utm_campaign=bandido-webparts&utm_source=post-share-modal&utm_medium=copy-url

Not the Archibald born in 1801, but perhaps there is a link somewhere?
Just a thought.....still looking  :)

Hello Terri,

Thanks for the link to the probate for Willie’s will. That was good to get.

You will see my post to PharmaT about the connection between David Woodburn-Janet Caldwell family and Archibald Woodburn (b.1801). It appears David Woodburn (husband of Janet Caldwell) was the half-brother of Archibald Woodburn – their father, John Woodburn (b.1747) married three times. This means that Archibald was the uncle of the David Woodburn born 1805.

As for Archibald Francis Woodburn, I’m not completely sure of the family connection but feel he may have been a child of David Woodburn born 1805. I found this reference to Archibald online:

“MEN-AT-THE-BAR.
Woodburn, Archibald Francis, assistant collector and magistrate Bombay, a student of the Middle Temple II Nov., 1870, called to the bar 21 June, 1882 (2nd son of David Woodburn, Esq., of Camlarg Lodge, Dalmellington, co. Ayr); born, Ahmednagar, Bombay.”

…which doesn’t quite make sense ???  because “2nd son of David Woodburn, Esq, of Camlarg Lodge” would make him the son of the David Woodburn b.1776. But my guess is that Archibald Francis Woodburn was the son of David Woodburn (born 1805 and doctor in the Bengal Army) who definitely was the second son of David Woodburn of Camlarg Lodge. Confusing I know – too many Davids!

Another son of David Woodburn born 1805 was John Woodburn. He is mentioned on the Woodburn gravestone. Wikipedia has the following to say about this John Woodburn. He was quite renowned  8)

“Sir John Woodburn, KCSI (13 July 1843 – 21 November 1902) was an Indian Civil Servant, who later served as Lieutenant Governor of Bengal from 1898 to 1902.”
“He was born at Barrackpore in British India to David Woodburn. After early education at Arya Academy in Bengal, he went to England to study at Glasgow University and Edinburgh University.”

That’s all for now Terri,

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 26 June 17 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi from a chilly Hawkes Bay:) my WOOdBURNS who came to NZ hailed from Fenwick and earlier on from Loundoun..There is quite a concentration of them there
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 26 June 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Polly, So was John an older father then for Archibald because big age difference between him and David.

Given the age of Archibald Francis makes more sense to be the son of David born 1805? You're right too many of the same first names.

Woodburn does seem to be a very Ayrshire name.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pollyhow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 02 July 17 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,
I've just started researching my McEwin ancestors. I'm looking at a copy of an excerpt from the family bible of Margaret Hester McEwin, b.Apr 26, 1795, Caddington England, married John McEwin at Dumfries 19th Seot 1811. They migrated to Melbourne Australia in 1839 with their youngest six children  - They had 10 sons & 1 daughter - including Andrew McEwin, who m'd in Melbourne & settled in N.Z., and my great great grandfather Joseph Nash McEwin.

Hi Diana,

I have finally caught up with your post.

Our records differ slightly as regards the marriage date for John McEwin and Margaret Hester Daniel. I have this date as 17 Sept 1815. I wonder if you got your info from Gavin McEwin’s book “McEwins in the Antipodes”. Some of my records differ slightly from his, although I do admire the fantastic work he put in considering he worked at it in the days before personal computers were readily available. His book inspired me to find out more about my ancestor Marion Woodburn, the wife of Andrew McEwin.

I see you are a descendant of Joseph Nash McEwin. That’s interesting! A son of Marion and Andrew, John Woodburn McEwin, lived some years in Western Australia (according to his death certificate) and when I discovered that two sons of Joseph Nash McEwin had lived there, I wondered if he had visited these cousins of his, or if they had encouraged him to come. However, such information is very difficult to confirm. It all happened a long time ago.

Great to make contact with you.

Offline Gtyler8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 21 October 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
I just joined RootsChat and saw this thread; hopefully it isn’t too late!

I descend from Woodburns from Galston Ayrshire. William Woodburn (b c 1785) and Christian Ferguson (b c 1785) are my 4th great grandparents. I am not positive who William’s parents were, but I believe they may have been the Alexander Woodburn and Mary Croser/Crozier referenced in Polyhow’s post back on page 6 of this thread.

William Woodburn and Christian Ferguson’s daughter, Anne Woodburn (my 3rd great grandmother) married a John Caldwell, who also hailed from Galston. John had many siblings and step siblings, but the only Janet appears to have died at the age of 17 in 1849.

I am not sure any of this is much help other than to verify that there were other connections between the Caldwells and Woodburns.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 25 April 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Polly - you said "Something that still mystifies me is how Archibald Woodburn (born 1801) was connected to the David Woodburn/Janet Caldwell family. I see there is an inscription for Archibald on the Woodburn grave..."

Well, I have just discovered the probate for Willie's will, in which it states that an Archibald Francis Woodburn was her nephew....

http://sharing.ancestry.com/7865457?h=ad1650&utm_campaign=bandido-webparts&utm_source=post-share-modal&utm_medium=copy-url

Not the Archibald born in 1801, but perhaps there is a link somewhere?
Just a thought.....still looking  :)

Hello Terri,

Thanks for the link to the probate for Willie’s will. That was good to get.

You will see my post to PharmaT about the connection between David Woodburn-Janet Caldwell family and Archibald Woodburn (b.1801). It appears David Woodburn (husband of Janet Caldwell) was the half-brother of Archibald Woodburn – their father, John Woodburn (b.1747) married three times. This means that Archibald was the uncle of the David Woodburn born 1805.

As for Archibald Francis Woodburn, I’m not completely sure of the family connection but feel he may have been a child of David Woodburn born 1805. I found this reference to Archibald online:

“MEN-AT-THE-BAR.
Woodburn, Archibald Francis, assistant collector and magistrate Bombay, a student of the Middle Temple II Nov., 1870, called to the bar 21 June, 1882 (2nd son of David Woodburn, Esq., of Camlarg Lodge, Dalmellington, co. Ayr); born, Ahmednagar, Bombay.”

…which doesn’t quite make sense ???  because “2nd son of David Woodburn, Esq, of Camlarg Lodge” would make him the son of the David Woodburn b.1776. But my guess is that Archibald Francis Woodburn was the son of David Woodburn (born 1805 and doctor in the Bengal Army) who definitely was the second son of David Woodburn of Camlarg Lodge. Confusing I know – too many Davids!

Another son of David Woodburn born 1805 was John Woodburn. He is mentioned on the Woodburn gravestone. Wikipedia has the following to say about this John Woodburn. He was quite renowned  8)

“Sir John Woodburn, KCSI (13 July 1843 – 21 November 1902) was an Indian Civil Servant, who later served as Lieutenant Governor of Bengal from 1898 to 1902.”
“He was born at Barrackpore in British India to David Woodburn. After early education at Arya Academy in Bengal, he went to England to study at Glasgow University and Edinburgh University.”

That’s all for now Terri,

I have found a copy of an obituary  (found it yesterday) of the David Woodburn, the one who died in 1888.  In it it says that after retiral he split his time between Camlarg and his house in Ayr (Barns St).  Jessie Caldwell or Woodburn also had lived in a house in South Beach Troon which she had named Camlarg, it still has Camlarg carved into the gatepost today.

As an aside it claims that John (the father) was the croupier at the first Kilmarnock Burns Club, Burns supper.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others