Author Topic: David John Lumsden Monteath (Monteith) Hodge Rake Lane Cemetery  (Read 9800 times)

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David John Lumsden Monteath (Monteith) Hodge Rake Lane Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
He could have been a resident in the Mariners Homes which are in Wallasey and Nautilus administer them.  Worth asking!
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Monteith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I had been wondering about homes and hospices, especially as I he was a widower for some time before his death.
I will chase tat line up now.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

You're welcome -
 I just wish I could have found something at the library - forgot to say we also had a look at the street directories available for the time.

There's a record on An-----y for a death in 1983 for a William Monteith Hodge in Birkenhead so there could possibly be a connection with this area.

Perhaps Certacito's idea may help.

If you find out any further information please let us know as someone will always try to help if they can.
In the meantime I will keep looking.

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Monteith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your assistance.

I took Certacito's advice and I rang Nautilus Park this morning. A very helpful lady answered the phone, and the upshot is that I have emailed her all the details I had and she will risk choking on the dust on their archives in their attic, on my behalf.

Willam Monteith Hodge is my grandfather's brother. Their sister ws Annie Hodge. It seems as though the tradition was always to add the Monteith to the boys names, and it was only hyphenated when my grandparents registered my father's birth, though it appears as Monteith-Hodge on various records since the end of the 19th Century.
My grandfather used both forms, as did my great-great-grandfather. This has created much confusion. ;o)

You have all been great sources of encouragement and convinced me that to make my tree public on
An-----y public, thus sharing my discoveries with others was the right one - people DO share.

David

Offline Monteith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 March 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
He could have been a resident in the Mariners Homes which are in Wallasey and Nautilus administer them.  Worth asking!

Your suggestion has borne fruit!

I received an email from Nautilus 30 minutes ago, confirming his residence, birthplace, age and date of death.
I cannot yet find a death certificate for him, but that may just be because the name and initials he used in Nautilus is not exactly the same as his full name and I have yet to try all the possible combinations.
Knowing his date of death - November 1951 - should let me do this, however.

thanks again to everyone who offered advice and assistance.

You guys (assumption) were great.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 March 15 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hello David

Thanks for updating us -
At least you have confirmed that your great grandfather lived at the Mariner's Home and the year he died - I believe some of the mariners were buried in Rake Lane -  I just did a search on the internet to confirm this.

I went to the main library and looked through the burial records (Church of England, Non Conformist, Roman Catholic) for Rake Lane, Landican, Flaybrick and Frankby cemeteries but couldn't find anything.
Perhaps he was cremated but there doesn't seem to be a death registered - I've tried different combinations of his name.
Can I ask if the e-mail said that your great grandfather did die in the Mariner's Home - or did they just have a record of his date of death?

The only thing I could find is a death on 'Scotland's People' which is a pay-to-view(credits) site is a death in 1951 for a David Lumsden Hodge -only one match for these details. It's a longshot and could be a completely different David Lumsden Hodge as there's no clue to his age - and could be expensive to check.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

I've attached the link as there's a free search to the index - but no other details.

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else - good luck with your search.

Good thinking Certacito.

Regards

Neptune

Offline Monteith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 March 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Neptune,

I did ask Mariner Park if he had died there, but they have not got back to me. They did say that they had no record of his leaving, so we were working on the asumption that he actually died in residence.

However, your tip paid off.

I still have a few credits left at Scotlands People. and have the death register entry in front ot me and saved to my hard drive.
It confirms what my father told me some years ago, that the death occurred at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and his usual residence is given as Liverpool Mariners' Home.

Thank you again.

I suspect that he will have been buried in Edinburgh, so I will add him to the search I need to make for his mother, who died in Edinburgh in 11934/5. I have everything for her EXCEPT her burial place.

Thanks again,

David

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello David

I'm glad you were able to find the record and you now know where your great grandfather died.
Maybe he was buried(or cremated) in Edinburgh -possibly buried with his mother.

There maybe an obituary or report in one of the local newspapers at the time which may give some clues about the funeral.

Good luck with your search.

Regards

Neptune

Offline Monteith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
Neptune et al,

You might like to know that I found out where and when this man was cremated, about 2 minutes ago - Warriston Crematorium, Edinburgh, 28 Nov 1951.

SUCCESS. Brings his genealogy to a close, as far as the dates go. I shall keep looking for interesting stuff about him, though, as I suspect there is more to come to light, from the few things my father told me.

Now I need to find where his mother was disposed of in Edinburgh in 1934.

Wish me luck, and thanks all, again.

David