Author Topic: did francis abandon his children  (Read 10717 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
did francis abandon his children
« on: Tuesday 06 January 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if someone might help with finding out what happened to  francis whitecross I thought like many other researchers that francis had abandoned his family in Scotland and went to america where he had another family leaving his poor wife with their children. I starred  researching on the immigration entries and the francis that went to new jersey and released  couldn't of been my francis because his age is 45 in 1883 when he was actually born in 1883 well into his 60s. its quite a talking point that my ancestor left his wife and married again in this country went to new jersey and then re married once his second wife died but it doesn't  up. The facts . Francis whitecross was born in 1820 in kirriemuir, forfar
his parents were david whitecross and hellen marshall. I have them married in 1838 and the last census that family were altogether was in 1851 living in dundee. Hellen is on her own with the children in 1861 but i can't find a death entry for francis anywhere. Nor can i find another marriage entry divorce which is odd. Hellen has wife on her entry but  there is no sign of francis there. As I mentioned earlier some researchers think he went to new jersey and died there but the dates dont tally up and have him married to a margaret black . This is giving me a headache ! any help would be great thanks G

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: did francis abandon his children
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Think this could be your Francis in the 1861 census living 184,South Street Perth
Francis Whitecross b 1821 Kirriemuir age 40 labourer in foundry
Anne Whitecross b 1833 Dundee age 28
William Whitcross b 1844 Aberdeen age 17 ..this ties in with William in the 1851 census
James Leveston  Charles Clark boarders

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a Francis Whitecross b 1820 Scotland age 60 living Paterson Passaic New Jersey
Ann Whitecross b 1822 age 58 ( which looks like a mistake )
Robert Whitecross b 1874 Scotland age 6 son
Can't see a birth for Robert ?

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
1841 and 1851 there's a Francis Whitecross with a wife called Helen living Dundee. This couple (she is showing born Ireland, he's showing from Kirriemuir) have four children showing in 1851- the oldest is a James age 12 born Old Machar, Aberdeen.  In 1841 the same couple look to have an Alexander (down as Francis's brother) with them along with their first son James age 2. Is this Francis's first wife?  Edit - sorry misread thought Helen was mother! I can see the marriage now. :-[

Seems to be quite a few Whitecross males born 'Kirriemuir' living in Dundee in 1851 ::) now in Dundee if some says they're from Kirrie you'd think Kirriemuir not County Kerry in Ireland...just something to keep in mind.  Particularly, when there are no Whitecross births showing on FamilySearch for Kirriemuir between 1815 and 1835.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Rabbit off somewhere...on the 1871 census the only Francis Whitecross showing up is age 2. However there's an article about a Francis Whitecroft 'foundry worker' in the 1878 Dundee Telegraph....see clip.  I'm pretty sure this is not the work of a 7 year old. 
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 January 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
On the Passaic Co. Surrogate Index here - http://www.courtreference.com/view/lid/14669/, there is an entry for Francis Whitecross who died in Paterson on 28 Feb. 1904.  Have any of the researchers looked at this information or his death certificate?

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone , if he died in usa will I be able to get a copy of the death certificate . I can't find the entry in 1864 but on  two census's he had been in new jersey since 1864 .

I appreciate all replies

G

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:08 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper article is interesting I think it must have been him I can't find another Francis Whitecross in Dundee at that time

G

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 15 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Jen , you say that you found a f w in the 1871  census I can't find it , can you tell me who his parents were I just want to have a look at it
Thanks
G