Author Topic: did francis abandon his children  (Read 10733 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: did francis abandon his children
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I found Francis' will here - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-29845-8685-61?cc=2018330&wc=MQTQ-329:338013301,339496601  It says his son Robert was adopted and born MacDonald and was to be given $1,000.  His wife Margaret was left his house. It also mentioned a son James Whitecross of London, England, and daughters Ellen and Margaret of Paterson were to be given $1. 

There is information about obtaining the death certificate here - http://www.nj.gov/state/archives/reference.html

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Good find Shelly he was a bit of a character this Francis Whitecross  ;D ;D ;D

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Some possible passenger lists for Francis returning to the US -

1882 with wife and children - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPF-CSMH

1893 with Robert - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6TV-L43

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and yes my ggg grandfather was definitely a bit of a character I'm trying to find something nice about him !!! Leaving his poor wife ( I wonder if she re married ) hope so then cock fighting , oh my

He wasn't married to Ann his children were known as Whitecross I think I've found Roberts grave

Well done for some brillant researching

G

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Google Books has a listing in the American Kennel Club Stud Book, Vol. 11 from 1895 for a dog named Miss Bella owned by Francis Whitecross of Paterson, New Jersey.  It says the breeder was Mrs. Adams of Scotland and she was whelped 15 Mar. 1891.  Perhaps the 1893 trip involved bringing back the dog? 

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I really can't get a footing here...
The Francis showing on both the 1880 and 1900 New Jersey census would appear to be the same chap as the house numbers are the same on each census return, the son Robert's age tallies and the saloon theme continues.  Ages are a bit out though as in 1880 he's 60 and in 1900 only 70. The 'will' mentions 86 Pine Street so perhaps all three are the same person?

From the census - Francis arrives in 1864, Robert (along with Ann?) arrives 1882, Maggie and her children Alexander and May Black arrive 1893. It would also appear that an F, Mrs, Bella, Robert and infant boy Whitecross arrive in the USA in 1882 - steerage - with 'F' showing as a labourer age 45 - 17 years shy of the age showing for Francis on the census.

I'm not sure where the Dundee connection comes from except Francis and Robert Whitecross got on a boat in Dundee in 1893 - both showing as liquor merchants - only three passengers showing on the voyage.

There are newspaper articles about Francis Whitecross (or multiples?) appearing in the Dundee papers from 1856 till 1882.

The two year old Francis in 1871 is living Mills Land, Cherryfield Lane, Liff & Benvie, St Mary's, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland.  His parents are Thomas and Catherine Whitecross. Thomas is a HLW born Kirriemuir.

1871 - living at 17, Newmonthill Street, Forfar, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland (see address for cockfighting incident :o).....Elizabeth MacDonald and a James Fyffe - unmarried ...in 1873 an Elizabeth MacDonald has a wee boy called Robert Fyyfe MacDonald (same name as in the will)...many parts of the puzzle still missing....

Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 January 15 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen , thanks for the reply .  I had assumed that Robert fyfe McDonald was in fact francis whitecrosses child because he was living with Ann in the 1861 census and there was a bella born 1862 both bella and Robert went to New Jersey with francis and Ann . I thought as he was still married to Helen marshall ( whitecross) I can't see a divorce and she was still alive in 1871 the children Robert and bella were his . How very odd ! He does mention Robert fyfe macdonald in his will , he also mentions my great grandad James ( London) he also mentions Ellen and Margaret who lived in Paterson . The names all tie in apart from Ellen who I have named Hellen but that may just be a mistake in translation I have a feeling Her name was Ellen ( if anyone has access to Scotlands people perhaps you could look it up ) I think this is my Francis but I can't find a thing on Ellen/ Hellen and Margaret who he mentions , I've looked under immigration and the census . There's no trace of both ladies in the Scottish census . I can't find out when Ann died either I suppose if their mother died they may have travelled to New Jersey to be with Francis . I did pick up on something rather interesting , he left his adopted son 1000 dollars and his own children 1 doller . So in today's valuation he left Robert 25.000 and his children including my great grandad 25 pounds ! I'm sure he was very grateful but it does sound odd . Robert did work with him so perhaps that was his thinking . I've been trying to sort this out all morning .. If anyone had time to try and solve the puzzle I will say a big thank you !!!   G  ???

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 January 15 14:06 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, people will leave their children $1 in a will so it's clear they didn't ignore them entirely.  If they're completely ignored, I think that gives the children a basis to contest the will. 

I have seen Ellen and Helen used interchangeably more than once, so I think it may be the same person. 

Did the Scotland Francis have any other possible children that were living at the time of death of New Jersey Francis? 

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 January 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info , I had no idea thats why someone would leave a small amount very sneaky Francis ! Regarding his other children that would have been alive at the time of his death ,  he had a son called William he was the son who went to live with Ann and Francis in 1861 he was 17 then . Unfortunately I can't find anymore information on both the census and death entries so I don't know what happened to him . Francis didn't mention William in his will so perhaps he was already dead . It does look that way because he did leave James the dollier even though he lived in London . If I could only get some confirmation that Ellen is infect the same Helen in the census of 1861 and 1871 all the names would tie in . My great grandfather did name one of his children Margaret ellen so I have a gut instant for what it's worth that Helen  was actually Ellen . I did wonder about the will , I'm not sure whether Francis wrote it if someone else wrote it I suppose they may have spelt it wrong .

Thanks again g