Author Topic: ludgershall wiltshire  (Read 9021 times)

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ludgershall wiltshire
« on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Am needing help regarding my grandmother.Her place of birth according to the 1911 census was Ludgershall in Wiltshire.She is now deceased.She was born Dorothy Blake around 1903.Her mother was Lillian Blake.Lillian was married but I donot have any name for her husband, his surname being obviously Blake.Dorothy was adopted by 1911 in Hawkhurst, Kent.I know her mother was married from a photo I have of her holding her daughter and she is wearing a wedding ring.I donot know why she was adopted as her mother visited her in later years.The Blake families are huge in the area.Does anyone know of the said Lillian.
Many Thanks
Sue

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ludgershall wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ludgershall came under the Pewsey Registration district at that time but there is no birth for a Dorothy Blake in that RD

Who did Dorothy marry and when?  What name did she give for her father on her marriage cert?

Seems odd for her mother to have her "adopted" if she was born within a marriage. That was more usual with illegitimate children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Her place of birth according to the 1911 census was Ludgershall in Wiltshire.She is now deceased.She was born Dorothy Blake around 1903.Her mother was Lillian Blake.Lillian was married but I donot have any name for her husband, his surname being obviously Blake.Dorothy was adopted by 1911 in Hawkhurst, Kent

I am intrigued how you found her on the 1911 given that her surname is not Blake, her mother is not Lilian, and she is not shown as an adopted daughter.  I assume you have other information about her?

How do you know she was born as Blake when there is no birth reg under that name linking to a Ludgershall birthplace?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this 1901 entry for Bexhill Sussex

William Parker 32 bricklayer b Hastings
Emily 28 wife b Holborn London
Nita (possibly Hilda) Young   8 child (no relationship shown) b Stroud Green London

RG13 Piece 874 Folio 59 Page 57

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:19 GMT (UK) »
William and Emily Parker were her adopted parents.There is also a 1911 census though no Nita Young on that one.On the marriage certificate her father's name was William Parker.The family know this adoption took place.William was deceased by the time of the marriage.Dorothy married George Harris in Hawkhurst, Kent.It seems the couple took in young children.My grandmother could remember travelling to Hawkhurst by coach.She was about 5.I agree it is most unusual.I have asked my father and he can remember Lillian visiting.I have had the train of thought that maybe Emily Parker was a relative of some sort.It seems a long way to send a child at that time.

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I found a mistake on one of her children's  birth records it was entered as Blake crossed out and Parker put in.I think I can post this as her daughter is now deceased too.Her daughter died in 1985.Can I post this do you think.

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I knew the Parkers had adopted her by talking to family and by the marriage certificate.The 1911 census states she was born in Ludgershall.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Lilian may have married after Dorothy was born - I very much doubt she was married at the time of her birth hence the "adoption".  There was no legal adoption at that time - just informal arrangements between the parties concerned.

I also suspect that Blake may well be Lilians married name which would account for why there is no Dorothy Blake birth in Pewsey

Offline squeeze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
How did you make the link to the Parkers.I never mentioned it in my first post.Very curious.