Author Topic: Rouse family in Stamford  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rouse family in Stamford
« on: Thursday 08 January 15 04:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the Rouse family who I think may have come from Stamford.   Samuel Rouse, a Tanner, married Frances Elizabeth Stevenson in Stamford on 16 November 1782 st Stamford St. George.  They had 6 children before Frances died in 1792, and was buried at St. George.  Samuel remarried Sarah Wilson in 1793, but I have no children recorded.

Does anyone have information on the parents of either Samuel Rouse or Frances Elizabeth Stevenson?   She was baptised in Lutterworth in 1758, father John Stevenson,  but I have no dates for Samuel other than a birthdate of around 1756.  I assume that was in Stamford, but it could be anywhere.

Many thanks in advance.
Linda

Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Rouse family in Stamford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 15 13:11 GMT (UK) »
St George, Stamford;

Burials,
FRANCES ELIZ Rouse, 19 Nov 1791 Infant
FRANCES ELIZ Rouse, 4 Feb 1792, Wife of Saml
SARAH Rouse, 15 May 1804, Wife of Sam, age 68 (1736)
SAMUEL Rouse, 1832 age 78 (1754)
(Source FreeREG)

Samuel/Sarah were both Widowed when they Married 1793.
If this is the correct Sarahs Burial 1804 it looks like she was considerably older than Samuel so its unlikely they had Children.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
A FRANCES ELIZ Stevenson was Christened 29 December 1758, Lutterworth, Leicestershire, Father JOHN (Familysearch.Org)
Only one I can find.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline daveb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda

I wonder if this could be a clue and may need investigating, considering Lutterworth and Stamford and Market Harborough are all not far away from one another.
   My Rouse family is connected with a Samuel Rouse who was a draper in Market Harborough (why he moved there I don't know as there seems to be no particular reason) and in c1733 baptised a first son also named Samuel amongst other children. According to my info he died in c1777 and I have no other details for him.
   Samuel the elder was born 1705 in Newbold on Stour,parish of Tredington then in Worcestershire now Warwickshire, apprenticed as a Draper being  the son of Nathaniel Rouse who by this time styled himself Gent., his father being an eldest son became well off it seems but his family were Tanners in Newbold on Stour. His Grandfather was a William Rouse who when buried in Tredington in 1663 was described as parish tanner.
   I know the family occupation continued as another branch settled in Bicester where they were also Tanners.
   The dates of your Samuel would seem to be all right as a son of my Samuel and may explain what happened to his family if he had one.
    I hope this is some use to you , if it is let me know. I should be interested to hear what connection you have with the family.

Regards
Daveb
Rous, Rouse, Rowse, le Rous....
Warwickshire,Worcestershire,Gloucestershire,Oxfordshire
Sanderson....
Cumberland,Ontario

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 February 15 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daveb,
Thanks for the reply.   I don't know if your Samuels are linked to my Samuel, but it could well be.  I'll search around and see if I can find anything, based on your Samuel b. 1733.   It's quite possible he could have a son, also Samuel b. around 1756 (mine)  - as you say, the dates fit.
Samuel born around 1756 also had a Samuel, born around 1787,  Stamford,  who is listed as a Tanner at the baptism of one of his 4 children.

I am a direct descendant of Samuel Rouse and Frances Elizabeth Stevenson. He would be my 4X Great Grandfather.
You can contact me on (*)
Regards,
Linda
Australia 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline daveb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda,

It's a long time ago but was just looking at Family Tree again as I quite often do to tie up loose ends and came across the following on the web.

Regarding the Stevensons of Stamford someone from Australia had posted a thread on "rootsweb:lincsgen" in 2007 which may seem relative to your enquiry. Hope this helps, let me know.

I have assumed of course that the post is not one of yours as the submitters' names seem different.

daveb
Sanderson....
Cumberland,Ontario

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi daveb - I'm glad you made contact.  I couldn't find the message you refer to - could you give me some more details, please?
I did find a marriage of a John Stevenson from Lutterworth marrying Mary Culcheth in London in 1757, which would tie in nicely with a daughter born in 1758.  This would be Frances Elizabeth, who married Samuel Rouse.   This is no proof, of course.   
I have found no more details on Samuel Rouse, so perhaps the family of Rouses you describe is linked to 'my' Samuel. 
Regards,
Linda

Offline daveb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for replying, the link that I followed was:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/eng-lincsgen/2007-04/1175626527

I hope that gets you there let me know if it does or not.

Regards daveb
Sanderson....
Cumberland,Ontario

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
As I replied to your original query Linda  I was notified of daveb's posting and am glad you have made contact with one another.

Trish :)