Author Topic: Picot family in Jersey around 1800  (Read 6044 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Picot family in Jersey around 1800
« on: Thursday 08 January 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The first two children (twins) born to my 3 x great grandmother (Jeanne Huelin) were baptised in 1801. The godparents were:
Philippe Picot and Anne Picot (described as his daughter)   (gps to Nancy Betty)
Mr Philippe Jnr and Jeanne Picot (described as his sister )  (gps to Jane Kitty)

The twins surname is Hellen on the register transcript but when Jane Kitty was gp to her younger half sister (my 2 x great grandmother) about 15 years later, her surname was recorded as Aylin.

As I haven't got any further with Jeanne Huelin's parents, I am trying to identify the Picots in the hope they are related and not just a random family in church when Jeanne and Richard brought their children for baptism.

I would guess that Philippe jnr, Anne and Jeanne would be in their twenties and Philippe snr around fiftyish.
The only set of three with right names in this age range seems to be the children of Philippe Picot and Jeanne le Ray. Checked their baptisms but no Huelins among godparents.
Can anyone find any alterative Picot family or find a connection between these and Huelin / Aylin families.

link to earlier post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666874.msg5122621#msg5122621
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: Picot family in Jersey around 1800
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
i have a joseph picot born 1804 st hellier married a catherine ryan children mary 1834 st hellier harriet 1840 charlotte 1849  charlotte married a edwin drake

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 04:58 GMT (UK) »

I am also connected to the Picot family of Jersey as my ancestor was Anne Deborah Susan Picot born in 1802 in Jersey.  Her parents were Moise Picot & Debora Marett.  Moise was the son of Moyse Picot and Marie Baudins.  Moise was born on April 13, 1755 and he had a twin brother, Charles Picot.  She married John Richard Bott from Alderney in Trinity Church, Jersey in June 17, 1821.  They emigrated to Prince Edward Island, Canada in 1822.

I don't know if this helps but the twins seem to run in the Picot family.  My grand aunts were twins and I had twin sisters.  The same names keep appearing in our Bott family tree, Rachel, Jane, Amelia, Caroline, Charlotte, Priscilla, Emelia,  etc. 

If you would like to exchange more information, just send me an email to cudfox@hotmail.com

The first two children (twins) born to my 3 x great grandmother (Jeanne Huelin) were baptised in 1801. The godparents were:
Philippe Picot and Anne Picot (described as his daughter)   (gps to Nancy Betty)
Mr Philippe Jnr and Jeanne Picot (described as his sister )  (gps to Jane Kitty)

The twins surname is Hellen on the register transcript but when Jane Kitty was gp to her younger half sister (my 2 x great grandmother) about 15 years later, her surname was recorded as Aylin.

As I haven't got any further with Jeanne Huelin's parents, I am trying to identify the Picots in the hope they are related and not just a random family in church when Jeanne and Richard brought their children for baptism.

I would guess that Philippe jnr, Anne and Jeanne would be in their twenties and Philippe snr around fiftyish.
The only set of three with right names in this age range seems to be the children of Philippe Picot and Jeanne le Ray. Checked their baptisms but no Huelins among godparents.
Can anyone find any alterative Picot family or find a connection between these and Huelin / Aylin families.

link to earlier post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=666874.msg5122621#msg5122621

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, there do seem to be a lot of Picots in Jersey.

I don't know whether the Picots I'm looking for were twins. Four of that Picot family were godparents to my ancestor's half sisters  - they were the twins.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 16 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a remote connection - the Picot line in Jersey starts with Philip Henry Picot, baptised St Martin 13 April 1819, m Mary Padmore in St Bride, Fleet Street 1851. Landlord of the Yorkshire Grey, 30 Hart Street, St George Bloomsbury; outgoing in 1847. 1851 census as licensed victualler in St Sepulchre, Middlesex, unmarried. They emigrated to Australia.
Their son Francis Slater Picot married a Simons - hence the interest.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline deergun

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham, just to let you know that Philip Henry Picot died 1/3/1883 aged 64, Charles Edward Picot b 8 April 1866 d 19/7/1877 and Susannah Jane Picot b 20/10/1852 d 15 April 1853 are buried in the one grave portion 1 section 54 grave 6 in Toowong Cemetery Brisbane Queensland. cheers

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you - every little piece of the jigsaw is appreciated!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan