Author Topic: 1850 marriage record  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 marriage record
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 June 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
The Accounts look to be in the same hand but with the different names/initials, is it possible the monies were given over prior to the events i.e. whoever took the monies their initials would have been on the envelope along with the details of the couples i.e. prior to the dates of marrying hence the differing initials?

I think I'd rather do a jigsaw of a tin of beans right now  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 June 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have the whole page and I wondered about that.

And in particular why it's 'Mr C' instead of a pair of initials.

Noting that the surname involved is Irish, I speculated that 'Mr C' might be 'Monsignor C....' but at the dead of last night I couldn't think of an easy way to check the name of the RC clergyman in Airdrie in 1850/1851.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 June 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Noting that the surname involved is Irish, I speculated that 'Mr C' might be 'Monsignor C....' but at the dead of last night I couldn't think of an easy way to check the name of the RC clergyman in Airdrie in 1850/1851.

Forfarian,

Do you have a RC baptism for that period to check who the clergy was?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
No, I don't.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 June 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
I think the priest at the time was a Father Duncan McNab. I'm just reading about St Margaret's...
"Father McNab arrived in Airdrie in 1848, and for the next nineteen years was the priest-in- charge of St. Margaret’s. Described as a “somewhat dour Highlander”, he seems to have made little effort to ingratiate himself with his congregation, although it is admitted that he worked with enormous energy on their behalf. Cholera was raging in the town when he came, and with Father Buckley, much of his time was taken up with doing the rounds of the homes of the victims. Jeremiah Buckley was the only curate of the ten who served the parish in those nineteen years to stay for any length of time."

https://www.stmargaretsairdrie.org.uk/foundations
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 June 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
So 'Mr C' isn't either the RC clergyman or the Church of Scotland minister.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 June 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Interesting that the page before doesn't have the first letter - just the W or G

Gadget

Added -were the churches referred to  as West and Graham Street and Calderbank  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
I think 'Mr C' could be the minister in Clarkston a Mr John Campbell. I've had a read through of the New Statistical Accounts for New Monkland and it appears that there was the parish church, two chapels of ease and a chapel in Clarkston all associated with the Established Church. John Slaven has 'Mr C' next to his name and he is living in Clarkston in 1851...my head's nipping!
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Interesting that the page before doesn't have the first letter - just the W or G

Gadget

Added -were the churches referred to  as West and Graham Street and Calderbank  :-\

Yes - clearly just the second letter - think it must be a ref to the particular churches - locations or whatever.  See below.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***