Author Topic: 1850 marriage record  (Read 5107 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 marriage record
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
OK I have a copy of the page - I've never seen anything like it before.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
I though the original question related to Airdrie, but this page mentions Aberdeen.

If one is Airdrie and the other is Aberdeen, then whatever it is, it's not related to the local parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
I've seen something like this before - a few years back. If you note the money is the listed as a collection/* and often, when banns were read, surety or money for the poor was expected of the couple of whoever stood surety. Not sure of the abbreviations - could it be the person standing surety, who might also have been a member of the Kirk sessions?

Just a suggestion though as it's more a recollection of an old posting on here and I may be wrong.

Gadget

add /* and money to Poor House at top of page.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Jen, could you e-mail me the whole page please?
- you should now have a copy :)
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Forfarian...

"If one is Airdrie and the other is Aberdeen, then whatever it is, it's not related to the local parish"

Lend me your specs please as I can't see Aberdeen (the image is a bit fuzzy to me) but I think I see Manchester? next to the first '6 6' about half way down the page  :-\

I think the initials HW & AG could be shortened versions of place names but where if so  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 June 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Missed a couple of posts, had typed my last one, must have forgot to press send, went away & came back to it still waiting to be posted.

Missed yours Gadget, it's another thought!

Strangest marriages I've ever seen, 1st I've seen the likes of this for the era although great for experience in seeing different docs. & trying to solve puzzles  ;)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 June 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
I've seen dozens of New Monkland marriages, all of them just about as uninformative as these, but not with the 'AG' or 'HW' or any variant.

I can see now that Aberdeen is a different style of record.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 June 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Sometimes when you see docs. you're not accustomed with it takes a while to check through things & weigh up what's written/how it's written in context etc.

I now don't believe the initials are to do with occs. or place names but what stands out is the fact they all (apart from one couple) have 'both' written prior to the initials (presumably both of that parish) as only one person has 'in this parish' written which is the one who's husband looks to be from Manchester so I'm defeated on possibilities on this.

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 June 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
I now don't believe the initials are to do with occs. or place names but what stands out is the fact they all (apart from one couple) have 'both' written prior to the initials (presumably both of that parish) as only one person has 'in this parish' written which is the one who's husband looks to be from Manchester so I'm defeated on possibilities on this.
I agree, but I am no nearer to working out what they do mean!