Author Topic: 1850 marriage record  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 marriage record
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 June 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,

This is a difficult one but I'm leaning towards what Gadgets' thoughts were to do with £.

Do you think the 'G' could mean Gratuity although I'm still struggling with the 'H W & A'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
I'm leaning towards what Gadgets' thoughts were to do with £.
I don't think I doubt that the money paid went into the poors fund. I'm not sure, however, why some couples paid more than others, but not random amounts that were donations - almost all paid 3s 6d or 6s 6d or 19s 6d. And both the couples who paid 19s 6d involved one person from a parish in a different county. Yet James Wilson from Manchester, in a different country, paid only 6s 6d.

Do you think the 'G' could mean Gratuity
No, I don't think so.

I think it's either "HW" or "AG", and one or two "UC". But no idea what they mean.

I wonder if it would be worth dropping a line to the local studies librarian in Airdrie to see if he might know?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
This is indeed a difficult one but I too am going with gadget's thoughts of ££

Couples or their cautioners/sponsors were required to pay a security to prove they were serious about getting married. Also, the Banns were usually called on 3 consecutive Sundays at the Church Service. However on payment of a fee the Banns could be called 3 times on the same Sunday and the couple married that day.

This makes me think that part of the document is a record of these payments. Not certain about the initials but perhaps they belong to the person taking the payment - Church Elder or Parish Clerk??

Just another thought to add into the mix.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
"I wonder if it would be worth dropping a line to the local studies librarian in Airdrie to see if he might know?"

No harm in trying as it may shed some light & even if no further forward it will have been explored!

Another thought, could the differences in amounts be to do with their earnings/combined earnings?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
The other thing which is puzzling, couples named on same dates with the different initials i.e. not the same person (if the initials are related to a person), why the differences on same dates?

Annie

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Notice the heading that says “collected October 1851”
There are money amounts next to dates and things other than marriages. Eg Sacrament Fast.
Is this the parish income accounts, money collected at services, plus money from the couples marrying

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
Notice the heading that says “collected October 1851”
There are money amounts next to dates and things other than marriages. Eg Sacrament Fast.
Is this the parish income accounts, money collected at services, plus money from the couples marrying
Yes, it is exactly that. Unfortunately this is the only record you ever get of pre-1854 marriages in the parish of New Monkland - just the record of who paid how much to the poors fund for having their banns proclaimed.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
I've just looked at the page that the original Ardrie snip was from rather than the one that Jennywren put up.

There is another set of initials on that - see below.  Is it Mr C ??
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
It's definitely Mr C as there's a Morrison above and the M is formed in the same way.

Add - Will try and look at adjacent pages tomorrow o se if there are any other clues to the initials. It's a bit late now.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***