Author Topic: Thomas Johnston - help to decipher his rank/profession please  (Read 9823 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Johnston - help to decipher his rank/profession please
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I await the birth certificate of Evelyn

If I am correct the Eveleen living with the Murphys is the Evelyn who married Joseph Partridge
On this marriage certificate her father was Thomas Johnson Soldier
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 15 12:14 GMT (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 January 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done dathai on the 1901 census which I have just have had time to read in detail
I had found the 1911 which is where I had made my connections from
I didn't want to confuse the issue with too much surmising initially!

In full
FACTS:
Evelyn JOHNSON m Joseph PARTRIDGE Feb 11 1920 Naas 1920 Q1 V2 P807
Evelyn was described as a School Teacher and her father was Thomas JOHNSON Soldier
She died May 06 1948  Naas 1948 Q2 V2 P438 aged 53 implying she born c1895
On her death cert she was described as a retired School Teacher
It was thought she was born in Kildare as she was Kildare based all her life

ASSUMPTIONS:
The only Evelyn JOHNSON (or variation of the name) of the correct approximate age
is the child living with her uncle and aunt James and Ellen MURPHY
but shown as born in Aldershot, England on both census returns
In 1901 they were at 49.2 Eyre Street, Newbridge and in 1911 at 15 Old Connell, Newbridge

In 1911 a Thomas JOHNSON was living with Laurence MURPHY and his family at 22 Eyre Street, Newbridge

I have searched and found marriages of
  • James MURPHY (F) James MURPHY Plasterer m Ellen McCORMACK Sept 21 1892
  • Matilda Marguerite MURPHY (F) James MURPHY Builder m Thomas JOHNSTON May 06 1889
  • Laurence MURPHY (F) James MURPHY Builder m Mary Anne MULROONEY Apr 27 1908

which makes me hopeful that I have located the correct Evelyn
Also Mary Anne MURPHY (nee MULROONEY) was a school teacher
and at that time people tended to follow relatives into that career path

Now that dathai has located the 1901 census for a Thomas JOHNSTON aged 9
who could be the same THOMAS JOHNSON aged 20 in 1911 with Laurence
and that his birthplace is shown as Aldershot in 1901
I am going to look at records there again as I had ruled out the Kildare births for the period

Once I can prove her parents I can complete a family tree to Gx2 GP for a friend!
Of course next I will be trying to find out who the previous generation was!!!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 January 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
with thanks to km1971 on the military board I now know that this reads
2nd Class Staff Sergeant
and that ACC most likely stands for Army Commissariat (& Transport) Corps

LINK for reference
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 February 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Received the certificates ordered

1890 Birth Thomas JOHNSON Farnham Surrey Q2 V2a P98
1894 Birth Eveline JOHNSON Farnham Surrey Q2 V2a P105
1896 Birth Margaret JOHNSON Farnham Surrey Q2 V2a P98
          Death 1897 Farnham Surrey Q1 V2a P67 aged 0
Parents to all were Thomas JOHNSON and Matilda Marguerite MURPHY

1900 Death Matilda Marguerite JOHNSON Farnham Surrey Q4 V2a P74

Presumably Thomas and Eveline were sent to relatives in Ireland by their father

I located one military record for Thomas Johnson but unfortunately it was not more informative to locate Thomas's parents, he was originally from Yorkshire; nor to locate him after 1911

I am 90% confident that the Eveline born in Aldershot and shown on the 1901 and 1911 census with her aunt and uncle grew up to be the teacher who married Joseph Partridge in Kildare.

Any further information that anyone can provide would always be welcomed and thank you to all who helped
Further generations:

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 February 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a 9 year old Joseph Partridge from the Curragh March 1906 a witness in a serious court case in the Kildare Observer. One or two sport related which I didn't look at, and Mr. And Mrs Partridge attended a funeral In 1931.
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home
The search is giving trouble so don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Joseph Partridge principal of Clongory school
http://www.kildare.ie/ehistory/index.php/the-church-on-the-hill-a-fifty-year-celebration/

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 February 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sinannn
I have had far more success with the Partridge family thank the Johnsons
but I will follow up as it may lead me to locate the origins of the Johnsons

Joseph Partridge was also a teacher and heavily involved in the local community
He married Evelyn in 1920 and remarried after her death in 1948

Thomas Johnson jnr (with thanks to dathai) was on the 1911 census as a carpenter and I have found him recorded in trade papers up to the early 1930s
Further generations:

Offline tomj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
Well, this is really exciting and I don't really know where to start but here goes...

I've recently been searching for information on my 'mysterious' great grandfather, from whom I get my surname. I didn't even know his first name, or the first name of his wife and you've just provided me with that information, along with a host more, so thank you so much!

Some information for you:

My grandfather was Thomas Johnson (jr.) and he had a sister, Eveleen (Eve) who, I can confirm for you, did indeed marry Joe Partridge as you speculated.

All we knew was that my great grandfather was a soldier (possibly a sergeant) in the British Army, stationed in Newbridge, who married a local Murphy girl. The marriage was frowned upon by her family and the belief was that they eloped to England. It was uncertain as to where Thomas jr and Eveleen were born, which you have now answered. I don't believe that my family ever that knew they had a sister who died in infancy, so thank you for that discovery, albeit a sad one.

By the way, I was told that my great grandfather was in the Royal Horse Artillery. They were based in Newbridge Barracks until 1890, when they were disbanded, so that might explain the move to England, as opposed to an elopement?

Oh, and I'd say the location on their Wedding Cert is actually "Ballysax" Church, which is a small townland on the Curragh.

We understood that my great grandmother (and possibly my great grandfather) died in England around 1900, and her uncle, Laurence Murphy, travelled to England to bring them back to Newbridge.

It now appears that Eveleen moved in with her uncle James and his wife Ellen, while Thomas eventually was living with Laurence and his family by 1911.

I'm fascinated however by the 1901 Census entry for Thomas Johnson - why was he living as a "Boarder" in Kildare Barracks at such a young age? Perhaps he was in Military School?

It would also be fantastic to find out more about my great grandfather, Sergeant Thomas Johnston. You mentioned he was born in Yorkshire, but I wonder what happened to him after his wife died and his children moved to Ireland? Any advice on how to access his full Military Record would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some information on my family...

Thomas Johnson served in the IRA during the War of Independence and in the National Army during the Civil War. I've been told he was close to Michael Collins and was one of the last people to see him alive before he was assassinated as he was stationed in Cork at that time.

At some point after the Civil War, he returned to civilian life as a carpenter. He married Annie Reen from Bandon, who he met while stationed there, and they settled in Newbridge in the house where my mother still lives.

They had two sons, Teddy (Peter) - deceased - and John, my father, also deceased. Annie died and Thomas re-married Elizabeth Walsh. They had two sons, one currently living in the US and the other currently in Australia. They will be especially excited to read this thread - they've never known the first names of their paternal grandparents or where their father was born.

Thomas Johnson died in the early 1970s.

Teddy married Hilda and they had seven children. John married Rose and they had three: me, my sister and my brother. My other uncles are single.

As regards Eveleen's side of the family, the Partridges, I must admit I'm not that well-connected to that branch although I believe many of them still live in Newbridge (I haven't lived there since 1987). However, my mother stays in touch and will I'm sure be delighted to pass on this information to them.

Sorry, I know that this has been a tsunami of a post, it's just so exciting to find out so much precious information in one go. Please let me know if I can provide you with any more information.

I really look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

TomJ