Author Topic: Annie Taylor & Joseph Denning  (Read 7440 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Taylor & Joseph Denning
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 January 15 07:45 GMT (UK) »
This is a possible 1841 census for the 1851 family, so no connection with a Job, Robert or Lucy.

Civil Parish Iron Acton  Gloucestershire  Registration district  Chipping Sodbury
living in Iron Acton Street 

Elizabeth Taylor    60  pauper
Ann Taylor    30
Mary Ann Taylor    5

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 January 15 12:39 GMT (UK) »
1861 RG9 piece1747;\ folio 38 page 5
Canebrook? Almondsbury
Joseph Denning  28
 Lodger born Fane? Tane? Somerset (it is just a squiggle for his occupation)
Thanks for your help. I think this one is too young to be him. He would have been 31 in 1861.
The details I have for my Joseph are: Joseph John Denning was christened on 17th January 1830 at St Michael church, Stoke Lane, Somerset. Registration 543.
They travelled to Australia on the ship “Theresa” as assisted immigrants. They arrived in Australia on 28th October in 1863 at Port Melbourne. Joseph was 32, Annie was 25, and they had one daughter, Annie Elizabeth who was 17 months old. Joseph was listed as being a farm sab?
I don't know what a "sab" is. (I don't have access to the census' at the moment as my ancestory subscription has run out)
Urquhart, Penman, Duncan, Snell, Benallack, Denning, Amor, Bishop, Jones, Thomas, Hordley, Hall, Titley, Ellis

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 January 15 19:59 GMT (UK) »
It is farm lab (labourer)

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 January 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
It's many years later and thanks to your help in the past I think I am closer to understanding who is who.

Annie Denning nee Taylor who married Joseph Denning was the daughter of Lucy Sherman. This explains why Annie was living with the Sherman family in the 1861 censuses.

Although her father is listed on her baptism as Job Taylor and Lucy did marry Job Taylor I suspect that she is illegitimate as Job Taylor was transported for theft to Australia in 1837 (and Annie was born in 1839 to 1840). His departure left Lucy in tricky financial circumstances and she gave birth to Annie in Thornbury poorhouse. Job however was released in Australia after serving 6 years - remarried, had lots of children and lived to a ripe age in New South Wales. Job's parents were Job and Annie Taylor hence the confusion of names. They had a granddaughter Mary Ann Taylor who was living with them which is not Annie.

If anyone is good at tracing back the Shermansin Almondsbury/Gloucestershire this would be much appreciated. Lucy had a brother William 1807 (who Annie is living with in 1861) and maybe a sister Ann 1827 and I think her parents are Nathaniel Sherman 1768 and Hannah Beyham 1782 but I'm not certain of these as we are back to tricky times before the census
Urquhart, Penman, Duncan, Snell, Benallack, Denning, Amor, Bishop, Jones, Thomas, Hordley, Hall, Titley, Ellis