Author Topic: Post mill at St Leonard's church, Winchelsea Looking for any info.  (Read 8278 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Post mill at St Leonard's church, Winchelsea Looking for any info.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1785 Land Tax says

'Clark, Mr Robert - his mill'
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Just found an entry which might make sense in Wikipedia

Rye Old Mill was a post mill replaced by a smock mill in 1824 which in turn was burnt down in 1930, a dummy mill was constructed to replace it.

The pictures in the links I put up are for the smock mill, which is on the site of the original post mill from the looks of it. The B&B is a dummy mock up rather than a working mill I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbet_Mill,_Rye

No mention of a Clark in the notes anywhere so still not sure it is the right one.
http://www.ryewindmill.co.uk/History_The_Windmill_Rye.htm
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Henry says in his ad that it is a Post Mill in 1832 so that eliminates the Rye mill.  His father had a ship yard on the Strand near the gate.  These buildings were later used as corn warehouses according to one of the Rye town websites.   So I like the Winchelsea site because of hauling  but Henry did live in Playden by 1818.   

I cannot link Robert Clark into tree.  He seems to be connected to James Clark( also unconnected) and possibly to Fisher Clark who had a bakery on High Street after Henry's time  (1860's) 

Henry Clark and John Clark had a corn license in 1821.  Don't know if John was his brother or son or even nephew.

My Clarks were connected to the Staffell , Harvey Families.      LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan

Offline juzza_b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
In my notes for Playden (New) post mill I have the following info:

Originally one of a pair of mills that worked together on Playden Heights - as depicted in a c1808 sketch by J.M.W. Turner - the older mill was moved to Appledore Heath in Kent (TQ 954 304) where only the roundhouse remains.
The sides, roof and breast of the new mill were metalled and painted white, while the tail-end was weather-boarded and painted black. Her four single spring sweeps (at one point with canvas shutters) drove a pair of Peak stones and a pair Burrs.
July 1816: “For Sale. A remarkably well built Windmill, in full trade, capable of grinding from 4 to 5 loads of wheat a week in the occupation of  Henry Clark. The mill was built in 1804 and is in good repair”.
After Henry Clarke retired c1828 she was put up for sale by Thomas Clarke, and the following year the partnership of John Clarke and James Smith, millers, was dissolved. For a short period up to December 1841, when their partnership was dissolved, William and James Edmonds ran this mill in conjunction with the smock mills at Rye and Peasmarsh.
Edwin Smith is recorded here from 1855-74 when he’s succeeded by Edward Thorpe. Edward was followed by Edgar Thorpe from 1882 to 1909; then Charles Thorpe is briefly in occupation from 1909-11 after which she reverted back to Edgar Thorpe.
She ceased work around 1900. Charles Banister (see Northiam Mill) then bought the Hennessey Estate, sold the mill cottage to a Mr Phillips whilst the mill and plot were sold to Mr Brown who demolished her in September 1954 and erected a house known as Mill Place, (a large square house which stood opposite Windmill Cottage) on her site.
In fairly good condition at the time she was pulled down and following her demise the single storied round house was used as a potting shed.
In 2005 the Hastings Area Archaeological Research Group undertook a watching brief at the mills’ site at Windmill Cottage, Saltcote Lane, Playden during groundworks for a new development.
A large wooden lock and key from this mill can be found on display at West Blatchington Mill.

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.   I have never found any leases in Playden for Henry Clark except the mill.  I think the Thomas is his brother.   LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan