Author Topic: "Alias" in baptism record  (Read 4248 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Alias" in baptism record
« on: Sunday 11 January 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
OK - so it's a very early one; but FindMyPast gives an image for it, and it is very clear what it says (bottom right-hand corner of the sheet).

Watford, Hertfordshire, 18 April 1572.

"Elizabeth Huson and Cissell Huson Alias David Baptized".

The transcriber who has entered this into the FindMyPast database has suggested that David was the Mother's surname ... but I'm not convinced. There is a long string of Huson baptisms starting with John (my great x12 grandfather) on 5 September 1561.

I can't find a parental marriage ... I suspect that that has "fallen off the top" of the available records.

But what is the significance of the "Alias David"??

It appears again on the baptism of Jane Huson on 26 September 1574.

I've not yet checked the images for the other Huson baptisms that may be siblings, because the FindMyPast transcripts have nothing to suggest that any but these two entries have the "Alias David".

But what does it mean??

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Alias" in baptism record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 15 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Problem (seemingly) solved.

It appears to have carried the same meaning as nowadays - namely, that the family appears to have gone by both names.

Burial in Watford on 7 January 1596/7: John Huson or Davie.

How intriguing ... and also, seemingly probably NOT my family after all, if still in Watford in 1596/7!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 15 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Although this article is Devon based, it does give an insight into the use of "alias" names!

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonMisc/AliasesDiscriminant.html

It's an interesting read, in any case! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, KG ... that is indeed a very interesting read