Author Topic: Lisgreen, Somerset House and MEARA Family  (Read 7150 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lisgreen, Somerset House and MEARA Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 January 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested in the Kyne side, Madeline Kyne O'Meara's parents were most likely Thomas Kyne and Mary Del(l)ahunt, some siblings are on familysearch.

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 January 15 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this great and very helpful information! It will take me awhile to study all of this. Yesterday, after posting the inquiry, I found a reference that appeared in the 16 Jun 1868 edition of <i>The Tipperary Advocate</i>, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, as reprinted in the 21 Jun 1868 edition of <i>The Morning Star and Catholic Messenger</i>, New Orleans, LA, USA. Here it is, transcribed. "The Tipperary Advocate of the 16th ult. says: We are glad to announce that our enterprising and patriotic friend, William O'Meara, Esq., of Birr, has purchased the estates of the Earl of Dartrey, in lower Ormond, containing about fourteen hundred acres, comprising the town lands of Somerset, Ashpark, Derrybreen, Coolroe, Abbeyville, and Lisgreen. We understand that his eldest son, John O'Meara, Esq., for whom the estates were purchased, will reside in the beautiful mansion at Somerset." That appears to reference the predecessor of the current house at that location, known as Somerset House. I just joined RootsChat.com yesterday, and already have received an amazing amount of information in response to my inquiry! Thanks again.
MEARA, MEEHAN, COTTER, HANRAHAN, MORAN and TOBIN and variants of those surnames.

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 January 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Here is the link to that source, found through the Chronicling America website of the Library of Congress. http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86086284/1868-06-21/ed-1/seq-3/
MEARA, MEEHAN, COTTER, HANRAHAN, MORAN and TOBIN and variants of those surnames.

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 January 15 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Also, here are two other references found yesterday, one from 21 May 1906 and the other from 06 Apr 1910.

Mr. O'Meara's Abbeyville Estate.
HC Deb 21 May 1906 vol 157 cc950-1 950
§MR. HOGAN (Tipperary, N.) I beg to ask the Chief Secretary to the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland why the Estates Commissioners have not as yet visited 951 the estate of Mr. William H. O'Meara, situate at Abbeyville, Lorrha, county Tipperary, which has been sold to the tenants, the agreements having been signed on October 9th, 1904, and lodged with the Estates Commissioners on July 8th, 1905; also when will the estate be visited and a valuation of the same made.
MR. BRYCE The Estates Commissioners inform me that it is the fact that agreements for purchase in this case were lodged with them in July, 1905. Estates are inspected in the order of priority in which purchase agreements ate lodged, and the Commissioners do not anticipate that the estate in question will be reached during the present year.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1906/may/21/mr-omearas-abbeyville-estate

Coolroe and Lisgreen Lands, North Tipperary.
HC Deb 06 April 1910 vol 16 cc558-9W 558W
§Mr. HOGAN asked the Chief Secretary whether purchase agreements, signed by Michael Mara, Michael Creena, William 559W Hogan, and John Moylan, tenants on the lands known as Coolroe and Lisgreen, on the estate of William O'Meara, situate at Abbeyville, Lorrha, North Tipperary, have been lodged with the Estates Commissioners; whether the lands have been declared an estate; and, if not, how the matter at present stands?
§Mr. REDMOND BARRY The Estates Commissioners inform me that the answer to the first two parts of the question is in the negative. No proceedings have been instituted before them for the sale of these lands.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1910/apr/06/coolroe-and-lisgreen-lands-north

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 January 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way for me to access online this article you referenced in your message of 11 Jan?

The Freemans Journal of Saturday 17 February 1900 carries a story which involves a Wm H O'Meara of "Somerset House, Lorrha."

Thanks again for all the great information! We are really looking forward to our visit to that area this coming Sep.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 January 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »

Is there a way for me to access online this article you referenced in your message of 11 Jan?

There is, for example, the British Newspaper Archive has it (it is a subscription site).

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 January 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!