Author Topic: Hungerford Whitfield  (Read 16142 times)

Offline Barnsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hungerford Whitfield
« on: Sunday 11 January 15 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out any information about my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather,Hungerford Whitfield, who lived in Oaksey,Wiltshire in the 1840/1850's.He had a son also called Hungerford, but I am not descended from him, but rather from his daughter, Grace who was possibly an unmarried mother at the time of my ancestor's birth.I read somewhere on the net that Hungerford may have been married several times(?) but I can't find any information anywhere on this.
The Wilts County Register of Persons charged with Indicabe Offences shows on the 18th October, 1842 he was imprisoned for one month for assaulting a Police Officer, I should like to find out more about this.
Basically, if you go into Oaksey Church Graveyard, there is a Gravestone for Mary, wife of Hungerford who died in 1846 aged 53 and there are several other Gravestones to other Whitfields which are virtually unreadable although I can make out a Thomas aged 72.
I have also read of a Hungerford Whitfield in Poole Keynes a while ago, is he the same person?Poole Keynes is close to Oaksey.
Can anyone help me work out any of this or point me in the right direction? I am sorry to be so vague but I am clearly out of my depth here. Many thanks Barnsey.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Hungerford Whitfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 15 03:38 GMT (UK) »
A quick search on familysearch revealed some surprising results. I was expecting to find one or two with such a distinctive first name, but there are several individuals over several counties. The likely candidate for yours is a Hungerford Whitfield baptised 19 Oct 1817 at Oaksey, Wiltshire, son of Hungerford Whitfield and Mary (or is the son you mentioned?). Do you have an age or approximate date of birth for the Hungerford you are interested in?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family with his daughter, your ancestor?
1851 census
all born in Oaksey Malmesbury  Wiltshire
Hongerford Whitfield    56  widower labourer
Grace Whilfield    27  daughter
Mary Whilfield    4 grndau
Anne Whilfield    2  grndau

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
There is a Whitfield public tree on ancestry, just gives the one marriage to Mary.  (But does not mean that other marriages did not happen, but not easy to fit in with dates of birth of children and death of Mary and censuses etc.)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has a marriage licence for a Hungerford Whitfield (bachelor and yeoman) of Ashton Keynes and Mary Cook spinster of Latton, Wilts marriage to take place at Ashton Keynes. The bondsman is John Poole butcher of Highworth. The licence is dated 6 May 1795, so would be the generation before the Hungerford found on 1851 census.
There is also a marriage for the same couple but it says at Latton and only gives year of 1795. Both are transcripts unfortunately - no images of actual records.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
There is quite a bit of information to be had on the Oaksey page of the Wiltshire OPC. There was a family of Whitfield with children baptised in the 1780's, then none until your Hungerford Whitfield, and also a Lancelot Whitfield.
Quite possibly the earlier family of Thomas and Elizabeth and children moved away to another parish.

Added after reading LizzieL's post: Maybe Ashton Keynes is a good place to start.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Another marriage licence Hungerford Whitfield again bachelor and yeoman to Mary Watley spinster. His parish was Oaksey, her parish was Cirencester, Glos. Dated 1 Sep 1813. Bondsman John Harding, Wheelwright of Ashton Keynes. This is more likely the Hungerford on the 1851 census and the Mary who would have been born iabout 1793.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
According to the Oaksey marriage transcripts on the OPC site, Thomas Whitfield of Ashton Keynes married Elizabeth Oatridge in 1779. Ashton Keynes keeps coming up. It's a pity Ashton Keynes is not available on the OPC. Nor is it available on familysearch it seems.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 January 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
More recent marriage Hungerford Whitfield married either Mary Horsel or Elizabeth Smith. This was registered Q4 1837, so just scraped into civil registration period. The reg district was Malmesbury, whichg should cover locations of interest. This could be the Hungerford son of the one on 1851 census and sister of Grace. Bride would have to be confirmed either from buying cert or hopefully from a census.