Author Topic: Hungerford Whitfield  (Read 16140 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hungerford Whitfield
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 January 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't be surprised if the first of the line to be called Hungerford was named after the place, either directly as christian name (born there?) or from a surname of someone who married into the family whose surname was originally derived from the place.

Going back to Thomas Whitfield of Oaksey's will.
A bit of more on his children named in the will

All baptisms in Oaksey
Lancelot Whitfield bapt 24 feb 1780
Thomas bapt 29 Aug 1781
Elizabeth 20 May 1783
Ann 28 Dec 1784
Sarah 9 Nov 1786

Marriages at Oaksey
Elizabeth Whitfield married John Harding of Ashton Keynes  14 Sep 1809 by lic
Sarah Whitfield married Thomas Flowers of Minety 12 Apr 1810 by lic
Ann Whitfield married Henry Wallace of Stanton St Quintin 19 Jul 1814 by lic
Mary Whitfield married Joseph Lendall (sic) of Batheaston Somerset 2 May 1817 by lic

Mary is Mary Sandall on will transcription but Lendall in marriage record. As both are transcriptions don't know which is correct - both seem plausible surnames - census records and baptisms of children (if any) should sort it out.

Haven't found baptisms of Mary, Olive and Hungerford, I would guess they were younger than the others and possibly baptised somewhere else. In the census Hungerford's year of birth is approx 1795, Mary is the last of the four married daughters to get married which may indicate she is younger than them.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 January 15 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how far back the name 'Hungerford' goes but it's a rare gift. Did a search on Family Search (LDS/Mormons). Earliest date I found was 1723. Mostly Wilts. and Berks. but some offshoots, Hants. Ryde IOW, and Cornwall.

Quite frankly the old fiches, last one 1992, are the best. If you're really lucky, a whole family line jumps off the pages all the way back to 1538. I found one such from my wider family in Somerset. The fiches were put on CD and sold, but no more. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 January 15 16:48 GMT (UK) »
 Ancestry has banns record for Oaksey for Thomas Whitfield of Ashton Keynes and Elizabeth Oatridge otp dated 13 May 1779. This date is probably 3rd reading.
This looks like the Thomas who died in 1833.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has banns record for Oaksey for Thomas Whitfield of Ashton Keynes and Elizabeth Oatridge otp dated 13 May 1779. This date is probably 3rd reading.

As noted in reply #7.  ;)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I take it you know where Hungerford is. A4 Bath Road between Newbury and Marlborough. Wiltshire and Berkshire are adjacent. All the place names so far are 'in theatre'.

There is also Farleigh Hungerford just across the border of Wiltshire, in Somerset. This though got it's name from the Hungerfords who bought it in the 1300's.
  Interestingly, the Hungerford family name is supposed to derive from Hungerford in Berkshire.
 If you read the following link you will note that Down Ampney features in their history. Down Ampney is less than 10 miles from Oaksey.
           http://www.geni.com/projects/Hungerford-Family/11835
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 07:40 GMT (UK) »
If you google "Hungerford Whitfield" (using the inverted commas), you will find several online trees of various researchers; the most interesting was http://www.rmchalmers.net/p212.htm#i8641 .
Obviously subject to further investigation of your own, but it seems the Whitfield lines with Hungerford as a forename originated in Gloucestershire in the 17th century. That is of course if they haven't all copied one another.

Edited: On further investigation, the earliest Whitfield was from Ashton Keynes in Wiltshire, according to the site mentioned above.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »

As noted in reply #7.  ;)

I don't see an actual date mentioned in reply #7.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »

... the most interesting was http://www.rmchalmers.net/p212.htm#i8641 .
Obviously subject to further investigation of your own, but it seems the Whitfield lines with Hungerford as a forename originated in Gloucestershire in the 17th century. That is of course if they haven't all copied one another.

Edited: On further investigation, the earliest Whitfield was from Ashton Keynes in Wiltshire, according to the site mentioned above.

Good find Pinefamily!

This site does seem to have all the information that we have all found between us and more.

One interesting thing is Robert Whitfield bapt 21 Oct 1699, the site has no further information on him apart from his father was Lancelot and siblings were Elyzabeth (sic), Thomas, Jeremiah, Hungerford and Sarah. The earliest Whitfield I have found in Berkshire with Hungerford / Lancelot connections was a Robert who was born in 1699 according to his age at burial. The Berkshire Robert married Eleanora (don't know where or when) and had eight known children (among them a Hungerford, Sarah, Thomas and Robert jnr), the early ones in Radley, Berks, the later ones in Stanford in the Vale. Both Eleanor and Robert were buried in Stanford it V. I haven't found birth for either Robert or Eleanora in that area. Robert's son Hungerford had another Hungerford and a Jeremiah (another name occuring on the on line tree) in Garford Berks. Robert's son Robert had several children including yet another Hungerford and a Lancelot. Unusual name recurring again!.
This looks like the best possibility of a connection between the Berkshire and the Wiltshire Whitfields so far.

If you plot the Berks villages - Radley, Garford, Stanford it Vale - and Oaksey / Ashton Keynes on a map they all lie in an arc skirting the north of the Berkshire Downs, so migration around this area does seem feasible. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 14:44 GMT (UK) »
And from the on line tree it looks like the Thomas from Oaksey who died in 1833 was the son of Hungerford (1722) and Betty (?) and was bapt 30 Nov 1752. This fits with Thomas's age at death of 80 in 1833. The Thomas on the on line tree had siblings Olive, Lancelot and Hungerford, all names the the Oaksey Thomas used for his children.