Author Topic: Charles Kingswell, fisherman of Luccombe Chine, IOW.  (Read 3082 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Kingswell, fisherman of Luccombe Chine, IOW.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline Purplepeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Finally got there.  Thank you.  Marvellous that they were still living on the shore at the bottom of Luccombe Chine.  There was a row of cottages just to the left of the original Chine cottage which was swept away by a landslip.  I have a picture of an old print but not tonight!.  Thank you again.
More about the Milligans in Jamaica tomorrow.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 January 15 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Just putting this here in case of any use:

http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/

Offline Purplepeach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you for all your help. I couldn't get online yesterday so sorry I couldn't reply.
Yes, that double death is very interesting and undoubtedly our Charles and Jane.
No further clues about any children. 
Is it possible to request a look up in your local parish registers to see who those babies might have been??  Do I need to make that request that separately under Look ups?

I enclose two attachments:
1.  A George Brannon print of The Shore at Luccombe Chine showing the cottages where the Kingswells lived.

2.  Charles Kingswell's marriage certificate.

The link to Jamaica by Jane's birth brings up some curious anomalies.  Thank you for the painting of Robert Milligan. He died in 1800 and had a son David 1789-1818 but they were the top notch people. 
Further down the line there were other more humble Milligans around the island but I am focused by the name of Jane and there appear to be two who might be connected in some way.

1. Up on the north east coast in the county of Surrey, parish of St. George there was a place called Mammee Bay and not too far away, [I assume,] there was a plantation called Mammee Hill which was being run by an Ann Dudman for a period of twelve years between 1821-1833.  Ann Dudman owned a small number of slaves and according to her sworn Slave Register returns, she was the declared Guardian to Jane Sophia Milligan from 1826-1832, variously listed as E.S. Milligan and E.8.[sic] Milligan 4, as 4 slaves belonged to Jane, three Creoles Joan, Jean and Davy and Louisa a Sambo..
If our Jane was born about 1814/15, her father James, born 1879, would have barely been 24 yrs.
Was he married once before he married his wife Elizabeth or was Jane illegitimate?
I wonder where I could find that information?

In 1837, in Portsea, a Jane Sophia was baptised, daughter of John and Jane Milligan.
In 1859, in Portsea, a Sophia Jane Milligan was buried 13 Mar.
In 1861, from Portsea, Hants. a Jane Sophia Milligan married 18 July by special license at the Garrison Chapel, Rangoon Henry Sladden, quarter master 68th. Light Infantry.

2. Elsewhere, in the parish of St. Andrew there lived a Joseph M. Milligan with a wife Jane.
They had two children, Joseph bap. 22 Aug. 1809 and Daniel 23 Dec. 1810.  That is all I have discovered about them.  It is the pattern of names which might suggest a link as all three names reappear within IOW families.

There were others, I assume to be British Subjects but the names feel wrong.
I apologise for this long and complicated essay but I guess it helps to write it all down and always in the hope that it might click with somebody who reads it!
Thank you for your patience with me.