Author Topic: Criminal Record Help  (Read 2580 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Criminal Record Help
« on: Sunday 11 January 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Im trying to look up why an ancestor was in prison but dont quite know how to go about it? I am an Ancestry user but cant seem to find anything?

In 1881 Sarah Edwards (nee Morrallee) was in Her Majesty's Prison in Stafford whilst her husband (Robert) and children were living in Lancashire boarding.
Is there anyway i can found out why she was there??

Sarah was born in Mold, Flintshire in 1848 to James Morrallee and Phoebe Goodwin. Sarah married Robert Edwards in 1866 Mold, Flintshire, Wales.

Thanks in advance x
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal Record Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Newspapers are often the best source - I use Findmypast, but there is also the online newspaper archive.  I'm not sure about this, but it seems to have some potential.  To be in a jail on Stafford it seems likely that her crime was committed in Staffordshire.  I have only found one Sarah Edwards.

The Staffordshire Sentinel 3 Jun 1878 p3 reports SUSPICIOUS.  Sarah Edwards, hawker, was charged on remand on suspicion of stealing a wedding ring.  However, it could not be found and she was released.  This was in Hanley.

The same paper 8 Dec 1880 p6 reports that Sarah Edwards, having a previous conviction for stealing, was fined 20s and costs for stealing some coal.  She did not pay so was sent to prison for 14 days.  20 shillings was money she could only dream about.  A straight calculation based on inflation suggests this would be about £85 today, but it was much more in reality - in 1871 miners in North Staffs were only earning about that much per week, often 55 hours.  At today's minimum wage of £6.50, 55 hours would pay £357.50.

The same paper 13 Aug 1880 p3 reports STEALING A PAIR OF BOOTS at Kidsgrove on 30 June.  Sarah Edwards said she had 3 children and claimed that she had bought the boots from a Mrs Hankey, who was away.  Sent for trial, remanded in custody 1 week to see in Mrs Hankey could be found.

The same paper on 15 Feb 1881 reports THEFT FROM THE PERSON of 2s 9d on 12 Feb at Kidsgrove.  Sarah Edwards was found guilty and, having 3 previous convictions, sentenced to two months with hard labour.  She would have been in prison on census night.

It all points towards your Sarah, but what was she doing in Kidsgrove and Hanley, and did she have 3 children in 1878?

I have found other people in a similar situation.  They have no work and are forced to steal to survive.  Eventually, they are caught and fined.  They can't pay without stealing again and each time they are caught the penalty is more severe.  One man I found was sentenced to 14 years transportation for stealing two geese, but he had a record as long as his arm.

Best wishes
Dion
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thats fantastic! She did indeed have 3 children by 1878 with the fourth being born 1881.

Thank you so much for looking this up for me! Im going to see what else i can find on her as i cannot find her or her husband in 1911.

:) x

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 21:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a site called www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk but I can't find her in the calendar of prisoners, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Me neither? Bit odd. Could this just be an error though?

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Huge thanks to Clayton Bradley for the link to Staffordshire Name Indexes  ;D  I've found something I've been searching for for ages.  Thrilled to bits!!
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor