Author Topic: Aitkens of Glenrigg and Aitkens of GlenEllrigg  (Read 2254 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aitkens of Glenrigg and Aitkens of GlenEllrigg
« on: Sunday 11 January 15 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for a connection between the Aitkens of GlenEllrigg and the Aitkens of Glenrigg.
Robert Aitken/ Janet Main (married 1795 Slamannan)  had their children first at Glen Ellrigg farm just south of Falkirk, then later at Jawcraig farm. Robert was born 1767, Slamannan; I’m pretty sure that his parents were Robert Aitken/ Janet Wallace. (my line)
John Aitken/ Agnes Waddell (married 1801 Slamannan) had their children at Glenrigg farm, not too far east of GlenEllrigg. Their son James Aitken married Ann Liddell 1841 and continued to farm Glenrigg at least until 1891. John Aitken’s parents were John Aitken/ Mary Marshall. I have not been able to find a connection between these two families, but it seems that because of the proximity of the farms, they must have been related. I noted that Thomas Aitken, son of John Aitken/ Agnes Waddell was at Jawcraig in 1851. Robert Aitken/ Janet Main had several children at Jawcraig in 1816 and 1820. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to clarify this situation for me. 
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Aitkens of Glenrigg and Aitkens of GlenEllrigg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 02:45 GMT (UK) »

You could send coonwarra a pm

This is what he posted in January 2006.
John Aitken b 1776 of Glenrigg & Belrigg Farms, Falkirk was my 4th gt grandfather!!!!!!!

On this thread. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=121062.0
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline ldjones56

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Aitkens of Glenrigg and Aitkens of GlenEllrigg
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 September 16 06:06 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure about that connection but Robert Aitkin & Janet Main are my 4X Great Grandparents. My Grandmother is Janet (Jeanette) Brownlee Aitkin b. Nov 8, 1903, Bothwell, Lanarkshire, her father was Robert Aitkin b. 1858. He married Jane Kerr April 28, 1880 in Sterlingshire. I have more info and I will do more digging. Would love to share info with you. I have some pictures that my grandmother had and I have no clue as to who they are, I would love to share those maybe you may recognize some of the features they have. We always called our grandmother Memie instead of grandma. Anyway, I would love to hear from you. I live in Indiana but was born & raised in Detroit. The Aitken's mostly settled in Pennsylvania after coming to America. Thank you, Lois