Author Topic: Milne family  (Read 5357 times)

Offline jto5792

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Milne family
« on: Monday 12 January 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find the parents and grandparents of Joseph Milne (1853-1900), suspecting he was born in Montrose, he was married to Elizabeth Darling (1853-?) who seems to have many various spellings of the first name,

Thanks in advance.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Milne family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for his marriage on the Scotland's People site? The entry should give his father's name.

Also, if you find his death entry on the same site, assuming he died in Scotland, both parents should be named.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for his marriage on the Scotland's People site? The entry should give his father's name.
Joseph Milne and Elizabeth Darling were married in Scotland in 1877. The marriage certificate will also tell you the name of her father and their mothers' maiden names, and whether or not the parents were deceased. Use this information to find the death certificates of the parents (go for the women first because they will be indexed under both their maiden and their married surnames) and their death certificates will tell you the full names of all the grandparents.

You can download digital images of the certificates from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
From other people's research via online trees, this seems to be what is being considered:

1891:

Joseph Milne 38 Jobbing Butcher b. Montrose
Elizabeth Milne 37 b. St Cuthbert, Edinburgh
Mary Milne 12
Joseph Milne 11
William Milne 9
James Milne 7
David Milne 5
John Milne 2

Address: 16 John Street, Helensburgh, Row, Dunbartoshire

From same trees, Elizabeth is given as being Elizabeth GRACE Darling b. 3 Sept 1853. No death date included or parents' names.

Joseph's birth is showing as 1 Feb 1853 Scotland and death 9 June 1900 Scotland. No parents' names included.

Only original images from SP will help you confirm this line it seems.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
You need to confirm details from the statutory registers as it is not straightforward. I thought you might want to keep this entry from 1871 in the background for Joseph:

James Milne 48 (occupation is a mess on the transcript  :-\) b. Fettercairn, Kincardineshire
Mary Milne 48 b. Keith, banfshire
John Milne 23
Elisabeth Milne 22
Joseph Milne 18 flesher b. Marykirk, Kincardineshire
Hellen Milne 15
Mary Milne 4

Address: 13 Wharf St, Montrose Angus

1861 shows here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBR9-1F9

Regarding the occupation showing above for the Joseph Milne in 1871, flesher is another term for butcher. See here for example, Flesher = Butcher www.scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Re Elizabeth Darling in earlier censuses...

1871 she is showing I think as:

Elizabeth Darling, 17, domestic servant b. St Cuthberts, edinr. She is working at the Sinclair household at No 13 Rillbank Ter, Edinburgh.

This possible entry in 1861:

David Darling 46 Cabinet Maker Journeyman b. Coldingham, Berwickshire
Mary Darling 41 b. Canonoah (?Canongate), Edinburgh
David Darling 17
William Darling 11
Elizabeth Darling 7 b. St Cuthberts, Edinburgh
Elizabeth Rough 74 lodger b. Kelso, Roxburgh

Address: 151 Pleasance, Edinburgh St Cuthberts

One of Joseph and Elizabeth's children was called David Darling Milne, so above family a possibility...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I can see now from your refs and also what is around where the dates come from for Joseph and Elizabeth. See also that Elizabeth's death date still has a question mark. Joseph's death entry, if correct for 1900 in Scotland, will show whether wife was still alive.

I can only see one death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for an Elizabeth Milne/Darling but birth year does not match, even with +/-. It may be that Elizabeth didn't die in Scotland? Their daughter Mary died in Canada, as did son William (?). Son James died in Essex, England (?). It could be that if Joseph died first, wife Mary went to live with one of her children maybe.

Monica

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 12:40 GMT (UK) »
1881 Census
Cyprus Place,
Old Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire
Joseph Melni, 28, Head, Mar, Butcher (Master Employing 1 Man), born Montrose, Forfarshire
Elizabeth Melni, 27, Wife, Mar, born Millothran, Edinburghshire
Mary Melni,2, Daug, born Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire
Joseph Melni, 1, Son, born Helensburgh
Hugh McDonald, 14, Butcher'S Assistant, born Helensburgh

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JHM15

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
This message is for member jto5792 I came across your message from back in January of this year. I to am looking for more information on Joseph Milne born 1853 and his wife Elizabeth Darling Milne born 1853/1854. I have record of Joseph dying in Scotland June 9, 1900, but like you unable to find death of Elizabeth, I too was told it was in Canada. I have searched province of Alberta no record there, and have also searched eastern Canada as she had sons in the Ottawa area. Wondering if you have found out any more information since you're posting in January. Joseph and Elizabeth are my great grandparents...thank-you