Author Topic: Dabige family in Somerset (Langport)  (Read 3350 times)

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dabige family in Somerset (Langport)
« on: Monday 12 January 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information/research suggestions on an ancestor called Frances Dabige (female), born in 1776 in Langport, Somerset.

She married John Payne on 27 June 1796 at All Saints Church in Langport. A few branches of the family have all passed on a story that Frances was a Spanish governess, but we don't know how to research this. We seem to have hit a wall as we haven't found any Dabige family members further back in the records in the area...

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dabige family in Somerset (Langport)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Frances's maiden name was probably Davidge which, with various spellings, was a not uncommon name in Somerset. There were several families with the name in Langport and neighbouring villages but no sign of Frances's baptism in those registers which have been transcribed.

For a few years in the 1790s the baptism register appears to have included the mothers' surnames. In particular , George in 1799 is recorded as the son of John Payne and Frances Davidge.

Intriguingly, there are two earlier children attributed to George Tilly and Frances Davidge. Other children of George and Frances Tilley appear back to 1782. George Tilly and Fanny Davidge married in Curry Rival in 1780. Fanny Tilly was buried in Langport in 1815, aged 58, making her born about 1767 but there's no sign of her baptism either.  I would guess that both came from a nearby village where the registers are not yet available online (or perhaps don't survive).

David

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for having a look :) I will keep searching records from the surrounding areas. The alternative spellings of names is a real pain, isn't it?!

Zoe

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Oops, I see I should have said the other Frances Davidge was born about 1757 not 1767. A generation earlier than your Frances, so more likely an aunt than a cousin.

David

Offline maryshelmerdine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I am also interested in Frances Dabige as she was my great x4 grandmother. I am particularly interested in the Spanish story as we also had family stories about Spanish ancestry on that side ( the Armada was mentioned !). I have done the DNA test which confirms a Spanish ancestry and most of that side of the family have very dark hair and eyes. I'd love to hear, Zoe, what your family stories regarding a Spanish connection were.
Thank you, Mary Fisher

Offline maryshelmerdine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
I meant Zoobicsuits not Zoe !

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

That's amazing that you found Spanish ancestry in your DNA.

I unfortunately only have information on Frances Dabige from online. I spoke to Rose Figgins at the Somerset and Dorset family History Society, as I saw a post from her online regarding Frances' Spanish heritage. She confirmed the story of Frances being a Spanish governess.

I asked Rose to check the SDFHS's database, but she didn't find any new info, only the marriage of John and Frances on 27/6/1796 and her burial on 11/8/1838, aged 64. The only similar surname she could find to Dabige was a marriage 150 years earlier of a female 'Dabbidge'.  No births, burials, wills or anything using a wild card with 'Dab*' with a surname even remotely linked.

The original information that I found that lead me to Rose on http://butleigh.org/butleighpeople/ButleighPeopleD.html regarding Frances says: "Elizabeth Payne from Langport was the daughter of John Payne, tailor, and Frances Dabige. The family story is that Frances Dabige was a Spanish governess with whom John Payne eloped only to be ostracised by his family (info courtesy Rose Figgins)."

Here's Frances in my online tree: http://wthrscrtwrght.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=wthrscrtwrght&view=0&pid=578&ver=63 (If you need a password, it is "Tilly").

Please let me know if you come across any other information regarding Frances' heritage.

Kind regards,
Zoe

Offline maryshelmerdine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Zoe,
Thank you, that is very interesting to read ! I will keep investigating and will let you know if I find anything out. I am descended from Frances's son John who married Leah Gillett and had my Great great grandmother Lucy.
Many thanks,
Mary