Author Topic: same people Robert and Hannah Emmingham and date ?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: same people and date ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
The family i believed it to be were farmers / Ag Lab's

1901: Farmer (own account)
1891 : Farmer
1881:Farmer of 16 acres
1871: Ag Lab

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:47 GMT (UK) »
As I said Jason, no guarantees I'm correct and their is the date discrepancy but their could be any number of explanations for that. 

Her dress also looks like a mourning outfit to me. 

Children were also trussed up to keep them still, but there is just something about the photo, the very sombre expressions, even the body language of the father (head turned to the right as though not wanting to look), the position of the child, particularly the hand on the father's leg appears staged and the child's eyes appear to be closed.

Just my take on the photo. 

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought but the back of the card / photo says Caleb C Smith Photographer, Norman Place, Lincoln. I would assume this is where the photo was taken, if we can find out what date Caleb Smith was operating from Norman place we may be able to eliminate the family i think it was or get a better idea of date ? and i think you are correct Caz, i have to thank you for pointing it out as it never occured to me before.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely..do you have access to census returns, if not I do.

I hope I'm wrong, because I don't want to spoil your feelings towards this photo and these are just my personal observations.   :-\

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:52 GMT (UK) »
just looked at my photographs and noticed i have another photo from this chap but i know who they are, i posted some time ago asking for dates Caleb was working in Lincoln and this is what they came up with 1891 census RG12/2591 Folio 148

Caleb Smith Head 27 b Skirbeck   Photographer & Picture Framer
Mary J Smith Wife 27 b Warwick   Mak? Dealer in Photo Apparatus & Material
Frederick S Smith Son 1 b Lincoln
1 Norman Place, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

this kind of throws a spanner in the works  ???

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
and the same building 1877 - A.T.OSBOURNE, Photographic Studio, 1, Norman Place, Lincoln.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
So the photographer was born in 1864?

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, so if he was there in 1877, that fits does it not?

Was his father a photographer?

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yep :( and in 1881 he was down as Caleb Chapman Smith, apprentice living with father Joseph Smith, is it possible that the couple went into Caleb's shop in the 1890's with an old print and asked for a copy, if Caleb copied the print and put his advert on the back of the card ? or is it only the photographer who would have the name on the back of a photo ? the back of the card does say portraits painted, artistic photographs and enlargements and it says at the bottom, further coppies of this carte can always be had. His father was an iron moulder and it wasn't his photograph studio there in 1877, it was A.T Osbourne.