Author Topic: James and Michael O'Meara from Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, Ireland  (Read 11618 times)

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James and Michael O'Meara from Toomyvara, Co Tipperary, Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 May 15 03:53 BST (UK) »
James and Mary's marriage cert.
bachelor and spinster, age 26 and 24 respectively, both living at Bay St Glebe
His parents Matthew O'Meara and Mary Delaney, and he was born in Tipperary.
Her parents Patrick Dawson and Margaret Sullivan
He was a labourer and she was a housekeeper

Maybe I should apply for Hannah's death cert to settle the issue finally  ;D

James' daughter Margaret married Matt Slattery (son of Michael Slattery of Rooty Hill, Sydney) at Dungarubba (nr Coraki) in May 1913. 
They made their home in Sydney and I have found references to them as living in Kogarah at one time, but she was living at Enfield when she died in 1975.  They had 9 children.

OOPS - Mary Elizabeth died in 1953, not 1935

Kerry

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 May 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
James and Mary's marriage cert.
bachelor and spinster, age 26 and 24 respectively, both living at Bay St Glebe
His parents Matthew O'Meara and Mary Delaney, and he was born in Tipperary.
Her parents Patrick Dawson and Margaret Sullivan
He was a labourer and she was a housekeeper

Maybe I should apply for Hannah's death cert to settle the issue finally  ;D

James' daughter Margaret married Matt Slattery (son of Michael Slattery of Rooty Hill, Sydney) at Dungarubba (nr Coraki) in May 1913. 
They made their home in Sydney and I have found references to them as living in Kogarah at one time, but she was living at Enfield when she died in 1975.  They had 9 children.

OOPS - Mary Elizabeth died in 1953, not 1935

Kerry
Neil, sorry for the interruption, I suddenly could not find the thread. 

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 May 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
When you were in Australia on the Gold Coast did you hear of Coolangatta?
Well yes we landed there on our way to Sydney.
Coolangatta is named after a wooded area near to Lough Derg, Tipperary, Ireland, if you find Lough Derg you will see Terryglass, follow the road to Ballinderry, and the road bends and goes over a river, the left hand side of this is Coolangatta, a wooded area.
That's why when I contact people in Australia, I ask please put the country after the name.
Avoca is in Wicklow, Londonderry is part of Derry in Northern Ireland. Southport is north of Liverpool (England) hehe!
My Kennedy family went to Grafton now the last group are in Ashmore.
Small world!
Maggsie

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 May 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hmm not too many Aboriginals in Ireland?

From WIKI.

Coolangatta is a local aboriginal word meaning "splendid view".[2][3] Behind the settlement is a tall hill known as Coolangatta Mountain. In 1822 Scotsman Alexander Berry settled and built an estate (Coolangatta Estate) in the area, he was the first European to settle in the Shoalhaven area. In 1846 the brigantine ship Coolangatta, named by Berry for his estate, was wrecked on what is today Queensland's Gold Coast. It's from that ship that the better known Coolangatta, Queensland gets its name.[4]

Neil ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Maybe there's two, to be sure, to be sure....
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline goldsy19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 May 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Not many people know there is also a Coolangatta in NSW, south of Sydney near Nowra.  I accidentally discovered it while driving there about 30 years ago - being born in Sydney I could not believe I had not heard of it.

You are correct Neil, it was named for the ship that sank near Flagstaff Hill right on the border of Queensland and NSW - it's a fantastic view, if you are planning a visit
Kerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
While I am very familiar with Coolangatta, NSW and have been all my life, I have not ever been to the one in Qld, and I was totally unaware of the Qld one until I was in my mid 20s....   So, when dealing with locations in Australia, it is best to include not just the name of the locality, but also the state and then the country.  Even then it can still be confusing.  In NSW there's quite a few localities with same name, and that same name can occur in other states as well.    :)   We have post codes that help to separate these apparent duplications.     

The concept of deliberating naming localities after Aboriginal names for those localities dates from Governor Macquarie's era (1810-1821) and was actively promoted by the NSW Surveyor General, Sir Thomas MITCHELL during his time in that office (1828-1855).    On the other hand, Parramatta NSW (not the one in the Cairns district in FNQ) was likely named that by the first Governor back in 1788, and it too comes from the local Aboriginal name for that district.

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Coolangatta
Well we just come back from Ireland and found out about the name.
The people who live there, are from Ballinderry, Tipperary, Ireland, moved out to and lived in Sydney for a long time. They moved back 18 years ago and called their house Coolangatta. It was chosen by their children. This is in the wooded area as I said, but now I know why it's called that.
It's the little people!
Maggsie

Offline Kathy1953b

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 June 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Matthew and Mary O'Meara were also my great grandparents - Matthew and Margaret Slattery were my maternal grandparents.
We must be cousins!
I want to research Matthew O'Meara's family in Toomevara back further. Did you know that one of the O'Mearas from there was Napoleon's physician on St Halena and another was a very important Irish painter who knew Monet.
Do you have any earlier information?
Kindest,
Kathleen Gregan.

Offline Frank Omeara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 July 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
G'day Kerry,  I don't know whether this is about to make your day, but before I croak (I'm 82, and plan to live till I'm 128, twice Paul McCartney's ("Now I'm) 64"), I really must tell you that Michael O'Meara, who donated the marble altar in St Patrick's Kogarah - with my (in fact my Uncle Frank's) name on it ! - is my paternal grandfather.  Among his nine children were Jim, my Dad, who had seven children.  I am the youngest of four boys (my brothers are all dead; of my three sisters, two are still alive).  Summarizing my story would be difficult, but let's for the nonce just say that I used to be a Franciscan priest (concelebrated my First Mass with my two priest-brothers on the altar in question), studied for a doctorate in Theology in Paris, married a French woman, fathered three children in the U.S. during our ten years there; I was a lay diocesan Director of Religious Education and Professor of Religious Pedagogy in an American University.  I have become an atheist, created a blog (blindfaithblindfolly.wordpress.com), have retired from an international career, have lived in France for over forty years, and am presently enjoying life On Zeee Beeeh in my secondary residence in Bidart, near Biarritz.  I know little about "Jimma", your great-grandfather, except that he and his brother went back to Ireland to kill the Brits around 1920, were put under house arrest for six months, never killed a soul, and then went back to Kogarah, never to return to Toomevara.  Would love to hear from you.  You can check out my mug-shot in the blog.  I know : I look 27.  Like you, I have vivid memories of Toomevara Street, home of your ancestor and mine.  I would be delighted to RootChat with you.